• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PCGS Crossovers to NGC

10 posts in this topic

Higher grade would be the motivation, especially if I thought the PCGS coin was undergraded. I have actually had PCGS coins cross lower in some instances. One exapmple: As I am an NGC submitter (and don't submit ats) I had an inexpensive Franklin half graded PCGS 64 I got from Teletrade which looked awful (thumbing?) which I dipped improving the eye appeal 100% but NGC graded it 63 Perhaps the dipping removed what the haze or thumbing was hiding. I still think it looked much nicer. I put it on the slab bus going to NGC of about a dozen coins - mostly ANACS, ICG crackouts, and USM products (mods). I did better with an ICG 66 quarter that went 66+ (NGC) and a PCGS 10c graded 66 went 67. A couple of the ICG coins were down graded a point but the ANACS coins stood their ground.

Personally I think it would be foolish to crossover from PCGS to NGC, unless you expect it to cross at a higher grade. Market price data supports this.

For the most part I would agree, but I would consider crossing some prooflike coins in PCGS holders. For instance, if I had a PCGS PL Peace Dollar, I would have no reservations whatsoever about crossing it to NGC for the PL designation, and I believe in that sense, that the coin would benefit from the designation.

Personally I think it would be foolish to crossover from PCGS to NGC, unless you expect it to cross at a higher grade. Market price data supports this.

Assuming you are talking about USA coins only. No such data exists for non-USA coins. In fact most world collectors prefer NGC graded coins. Not all, but NGC has the majority of the graded world coin market, and most world coin collectors agree they grade more consistently and more conservatively. There are niche world areas where PCGS is a bit stricter (e.g., colonial 8 Reales), but I have seen more than a handful of MS62/63 PCGS coins ranging from the the 1540s through the 1940s that would be lucky to make it in AU58 NGC holders. (shrug)

I certainly agree most world collectors prefer NGC graded coins and I have seen this preference among world coin dealers too in viewing the inventory in their cases at shows. NGC has made advances in price guides for both world coins and currency. Their world gold type coin price guide is the best I have seen. In reviewing their world currency price guide recently along with my spreadsheet of world currency (I have an inventory of over 700 pieces of world currency) the NGC World Currency price guide is an advanced technological feat.

When I handled numerous world gold coins during the 1990-2010 period (both with clients and shows) It would have been nice to have had the NGC world coin price guide available when I started out. I essentially had to develop a pricing system for this material from scratch as the values in the Krause World Coin Catalog at the time were essentially MS60. Teletrade auction results and data from major dealers like Steinbergs were an input to my spreadsheets for these linked to changes in gold spot.

When I think back to the 1990 market on the bourse floor shortly following the 1989 crash, I believe world gold and USA large size currency in Gem Unc (if you could find it) along with National Banknotes were among the best buys on the bourse floor of that time. When 3rd party grading for currency came into play, prices for US currency especially in Gem went thru the stratosphere.

I cracked out a 1878 7/8TF VAM-37 7/4TF Morgan graded MS62 by ANACS and it graded the same at NGC. The only unsuccessful crossover I've had was an 1883-CC Morgan graded MS63. The reason given for not crossing was "Impaired Luster", which didn't make sense because the coin is very flashy and seems to have some very nice luster bands. I have been thinking about cracking it out and submitting it raw but I still haven't decided if that's what I want to do.

I understand that some coins just get favorable treatment depending on which service grades them. I understand PCGS (as an example) gives extra credit for great luster on silver coins.

I'd crack out ANACS graded coins to ship to NGC expecting equal crossover if the cost is justified (if I'm right). If I'm not, well that would be surprising.

I guess the guy who is a good crackout artist / wheeler dealer has not only good grading skills but knows which TPG has a tendency to grade coin type x with y characteristics what. Plus he can spot good opportunities picking off potential upgrades sight seen at shows, auctions,

Then he gets it back (possibly upgraded) and knows how to promote it (describe it to draw bids, sales) whether in his shop, online store, or at shows.

Not something I am trying to sell as a generalization, just my take on it.

In my series (early 18th Century 8 Reales) I would only cross from PCGS to NGC if I wanted an increase in the grade. PCGS has been historically very conservative with grading these and I have a number of pieces that I feel would get an MS designation this side of the street. You can see some examples in the set in my signature.

For example, check out the 1777-FF, 1805-TH, 1812-JJ, and the 1817-JJ.

I would cross them over, but I really like PCGS holders and the price difference is not that severe (yet).