• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

is it possible we may see liberty on our modern coins again?

12 posts in this topic

It would be interesting to have some new designs making a return to the Liberty portraits. However, that 1977 Gawking Liberty is not acceptable for coinage, period

It would be interesting to have some new designs making a return to the Liberty portraits. However, that 1977 Gawking Liberty is not acceptable for coinage, period

...yes but i'd vote that design over the selected homely susan buck that was decided on. :eyeroll:

Like many, I would prefer a change to existing designs. At the same time, I suspect that whatever change occurs, it still will not be much of an improvement. I do not care for most modern art and for whatever reason, most modern coin designs even from outside the United States I find unappealing because that is what they look like.

Like many, I would prefer a change to existing designs. At the same time, I suspect that whatever change occurs, it still will not be much of an improvement. I do not care for most modern art and for whatever reason, most modern coin designs even from outside the United States I find unappealing because that is what they look like.

So many of them are either uninspired, unoriginal, or done in such a low relief that they are altogether unappreciable...

...yes but i'd vote that design over the selected homely susan buck that was decided on. :eyeroll:

I would not. The SBA dollar is hideous in its own right, as is the Eisenhower, but both are life-like portraits of real people. It would be pointless to create a fictitious, ugly face for our coinage.

If the Eisenhower Dollar were to be produced using todays technology it would probably be a little more collectable. The designer, Frank Gasparro, was instructed to use a portrait similar to that of the Washington Quarter. You can only do so much designing when using a profile of the subject. The reverse depicts the greatest achievement in the history of mankind to date. I still remember watching the moon landing on TV..Gasparro was also told to base his design for the reverse according to the mission patch used for the Apollo Flight. Finding quality, high grade Eisenhower Dollars is one of the toughest challenges in modern coins. I LIKE IKE, and can't wait for the day when I can say I have one of the best sets ever assembled. Have a great day and sorry for the little rant....MAILMAN

If the Eisenhower Dollar were to be produced using todays technology it would probably be a little more collectable. The designer, Frank Gasparro, was instructed to use a portrait similar to that of the Washington Quarter. You can only do so much designing when using a profile of the subject. The reverse depicts the greatest achievement in the history of mankind to date. I still remember watching the moon landing on TV..Gasparro was also told to base his design for the reverse according to the mission patch used for the Apollo Flight. Finding quality, high grade Eisenhower Dollars is one of the toughest challenges in modern coins. I LIKE IKE, and can't wait for the day when I can say I have one of the best sets ever assembled. Have a great day and sorry for the little rant....MAILMAN

There is nothing wrong with collecting high-grade IKEs. They are very rare in MS67, and do not exist in MS68. They feature a life-like portrait of an important president. The minting techniques produced an inferior product, unfortunately.

omg, my ex mother inlaw, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ARRGH.

So many of them are either uninspired, unoriginal, or done in such a low relief that they are altogether unappreciable...

Agree.

There are also a couple of other reasons that I believe apply.

First, the use of base metals and even the reduced use of copper I think makes many modern coins look worse. This is something that modern coin collectors may not agree with but I think it has a lot to do with it.

Second, if the designs are now generated using computer technology instead of drawings using prior manual methods, that potentially makes a difference. I cannot say that this should automatically result in what I and many others consider artistically inferior designs, but I suspect that this is one actual reason.

Someone mentioned the Ike dollar here. I actually like this design a lot more than any of the recent (post-1998) changes to US circulating coinage and many modern commemoratives. As examples, the "Spaghetti hair" portrait on the statehood quarters is absolutely awful and the presidential dollars do not even look like real coins to me. The latter look more like the money that comes with Monopoly.