• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yet another Franklin half, CAMEO OR NOT?

11 posts in this topic

Yonico had posted a question about his Franklin making Cameo and I believe he was told that it would not make it.

Well I have to ask about two Franklin's I acquired that I was thinking might make it but since Yonico was shot down I am prone to suspect that I will not stand a chance in hell with these:

1960 Franklin Half

DSCN3972a.jpg

DSCN3973a.jpg

DSCN3975a.jpg

1959 Franklin Half

DSCN3979b.jpg

DSCN3996b.jpg

Any opinions.? I just had to ask. Might save me some submission fees if I ever get around to submitting.

Thanks.

This on one is a typical brilliant Proof. It is not close to cameo, and probably not worth slabbing except for preservation reasons. These coins are very prone to spotting, and putting it in a slab might slow down that problem.

(Darn censors. You use the perfectly acceptable r-word for slowing down a process, and the censor thinks you are insulting mentally challenged people. Give me a breatk!!!!) :mad:

(Darn censors. You use the perfectly acceptable r-word for slowing down a process, and the censor thinks you are insulting mentally challenged people. Give me a breatk!!!!) :mad:

:grin:

Aggravating just as it is on a cell phone automatically filling in your words.

Ok. Thanks for that input. I guess when you say "this one" you are speaking of both of them for there are two different ones up there. I am sure you noticed that though and was just being general.

Thanks

Bill

Neither coin displays even a reasonable hint of a cameo. If you thought they did, you should look at images of examples whch have been designated as "Cameo".

Well Mr. Feld, as you might imagine the pictures I take, once I get the coin in hand, and the pictures that they place on a web site, to sell a coin, can be very much different.

And to add to that even further; I do not have a very efficient photography set up here. I use a Nikon Coolpix instant type camera and a tripod and one desk lamp and the room light. I don't know how they get those straight on dark pictures where the mirrors are not reflecting.

Well Mr. Feld, as you might imagine the pictures I take, once I get the coin in hand, and the pictures that they place on a web site, to sell a coin, can be very much different.

And to add to that even further; I do not have a very efficient photography set up here. I use a Nikon Coolpix instant type camera and a tripod and one desk lamp and the room light. I don't know how they get those straight on dark pictures where the mirrors are not reflecting.

Be that as it may, all we have to go by are the pictures you posted. And they offer no hints at cameo.

Agreed. I think I need to head over to the WYNTK section and search for that photography article I found once. Maybe it explains how they get that mirror to turn black instead of so shiny that it distorts the entire image.

If you go to the Registry of Franklin proofs 1950-63, look at the photos of my coins (Jim's Franklin Proofs). I took these with a simple setup, two gooseneck lamps with standard 40 watt bulbs. The lamps are tilted so the light comes in from the side. Over each lamp I hang a silk handkerchief as a diffuser.

I hate to have to go and buy two goose neck lamps but that seems as that is what I am going to have to do,

I have experimented with back lighting and every single camera setting on that auto camera trying to get that black back ground. I just can't get it with the lamps I have right now. Maybe I can get some good pictures then.

I will look at those results you had using that setup.

Thanks.