• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone know what makes "glossy brown" copper.....glossy?

16 posts in this topic

The mint RED is a rather fragile looking semi-granular appearing surface.

How does the SHEEN appear after it turns brown?

It doesn't appear to be the same surface at all.

Fingering?

Oil?

The oxide?

I don't think I have ever seen a GLOSSY red copper.

confused.gif

This is a great question. I think it has to be the oxide. I have seen MANY AU and Unc brown coppers, none of which had any evidence of surface handling, and many that had the type of sheen that you're alluding to. It makes for a beauteous piece. smile.gif

597454-1827%20N11%20AU55%20NGC.jpg

Hoot

589a8d280ad37_597454-1827N11AU55NGC.jpg.69a9f921aa650d38b0f46307de52d4ed.jpg

JamminJ,

Blue Ribbon is a coin cleaner that is marketed as a professional coin cleaner/ conditioner and preservative. The maker says that it removes soil and coatings from coins and leaves a natural finish and color. They also say that it leaves a protective film on the coin. I have never used it, so I have no first hand knowledge as to the maker’s claims.

John

From the bottle lable:

Blue Ribbon * Professional coin conditioner and preservative * Contains 1,1,1-Trichloriethane and a lubricant. Blue Ribbon removes soil and coatings from coins, leaving a natural finish and color. Blue Ribbon adds a lubricant as a protective film.

TRUTH

BTW, this is actually recommended by many copper collectors and dealers to inhibit the progression of verdegris and spotting on copper coins

If you want the original formula for Blue Ribbon you had better plan on buying it before it runs out as the chemical 1,1,1-trichloriethane is no longer allowed to be used for this purpose, I believe.

If you want the original formula for Blue Ribbon you had better plan on buying it before it runs out as the chemical 1,1,1-trichloriethane is no longer allowed to be used for this purpose, I believe.

Nasty carcinogen.

Hoot

Here's my response to this question that I posted accross the street:

The term can mean two things to me.

Even when copper tones, it still has the mint luster that is formed in the coin is struck and the medal flows within the dies. It's not as intense as that found on silver, but it is still there.

The second way to look it is the appearance of it after the copper has been given an application of CARE, Blue Ribbon or some other lubricant. CARE and to a lesser extent Blue Ribbon is a decent preservative, and it can enhance the coins for photographing. And the coins do get a cerain gloss to them that many people might find more attractive.

Thanks for the post and the reply! I assumed that it was a camel hair brush, too. I have an 1820 Randall hoard specimen as described on this thread that has great eye-appeal and I think that the sheen adds to the appeal.

If you'd like to see what Blue Ribbon and a Q-Tip does to old copper just check out the inventory of Donv2 on Ebay. All of his coins are treated and have an unnatural, ghostly appearance. He used to be one of my favorite sellers until he started cleaning his coins.