• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1885 Morgan -- Overdipped?

32 posts in this topic

Somewhat interesting update on this coin. It was sent to a fellow forum member, Mitch, nearly a year ago. He then PM'd me a short time later to tell me it was actually a VAM 19, and that it is normal to have a polished reverse, so he was sending it back.

I never received it, and a few months later I asked him about it in a PM. He assured me that he had mailed it out but was willing to send me a replacement but it was not of that great of a consequence to go through the trouble.

Nearly 1 year later, the package was returned to Mitch with a 'Return to Sender'. It seems as though the zip code was incorrect and it took the USPS nearly a year to figure that out. :o

I found it to be funny, and actually the first experience I have ever had with the USPS and failure to deliver. However, I thought I would post a picture of a coin that spent nearly 1 year in the mail. :grin:

Problem coin still, but cool history. lol

1885_P_VAM_19_Morgan_Dollar.jpg

Thanks for the update. Funny, 1 year and they finally returned it to the sender. I personally have a great postal carrier and local service!

The coin is already toning. You can clearly see the cleaning lines on a few of your earlier photos. Too bad this coin was polished and cleaned. It looks relatively free of contact marks. I wonder if one of it's owners wanted to removes some ugly toning and thats why it was cleaned and then whizzed.