• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I have or shouldn't have send in my ASE WP set to NGC.

15 posts in this topic

Coins arrived at NGC

I was debating to send in my 2 West Point Set or not.. I sent them in then I heard of the submission from the coin cook that got 2% of his coins back as 70's. to date. I also heard that he told his audience that he brought 10 percent of the total WP ASE on sale. He is selling 1600 coins at 69. Here is hoping for 70's. and not paying an arm and a half for it.

Happy Collecting,

See more journals by DVD Home Studios

Assuming the U.S. Mint lives up to its recent standards you can expect anywhere from 25% to 50% or more of the coins to come back as 70. Given over 250,000 sets were sold there will be at least 60,000 potential sets in 70 condition and maybe as many as 125,000 sets in 70 condition. The problem is the 69 condition coins won't be worth much money in the long run (not much over silver melt value) and you are best to sell those as fast as possible to maximize your profit while these coins are still hot. Good Luck on getting both coins as 70! I never seem to have such luck with NGC.

Regards,

C.

"while these coins are still hot." is the reason I stopped collecting the ASE coins. Nothing about any of them is rare, just desirable to many.

Good luck with your 70's and don't believe anyone on television. Check out the population numbers and you will see the truth.

After a few years of submitting my modern commemoratives and SAEs to NGC, I found it...financially speaking...better to buy them on the secondary market.

I purchased the West Point SAEs from MCM for $289...both 70s...in the retro black holder. With the cost from the Mint, shipping, and NGC fees, no gurantee of 70s, and the 5 coin minimum submission, I believe it to be a decent price.

Also, if you like to save money...the 69 grades are usually a great way to go. You just have to wait a bit for prices to stabilize after a few months for the West Point SAEs.

Best of luck on you submissions

Jeffrey

I submitted a dozen early proof Eagles and got lucky with two 70's (1990-S and1992-S) and got a 70 on my raw 2006 Reverse Proof. I got 16 out of 25 on the 25th Anniversary sets. For most of the newly released dates, I have found it better to wait until after the initial rush and buy a 70 already graded.

I received an e-mail today offering NGC 70 West Point sets for $275 delivered fromUniversalCoin & Bullon. I'll give them another few weeks to hit bottom.

I wish they'd get rid of those designations. IMO, it's the TV marketing boys using those terms to try and create a "pedigree" for coins minted in high quality and in the tens of millions.

I hope NGC and PCGS don't give extra registry points for those designations or prices will get really crazy.

Early Releases vs. First Strike - Why?

Since all 250,000+ sets were essentially released at about the same time (or within a month or two) does Early Release or First Strike have any real meaning? If a coin is a perfect 70 why does it matter if it is an Early Releases or a First Strike? Are some 70 coins better than others? Are some 70 coins just more equal? While I find ASE interesting and I realize they are hot right now, there are just too many perfect ASE coins for me to consider spending any serious money. I just buy a few on the cheap so when the market falls I won't have overspent. Just my opinion. There are better buys among classic U.S. coins.

There are a few people on here that believe there is something special about an Early Release or First Strike label, but it is just a label. In the long run they will realize that they just have the same coin over and over again in a different label.

"Buy the coin and not the label" still holds true since the first time it was said. :banana:

Buy them if you want to collect them, but don't buy them for an investment because it would be a huge mistake. ASE's are not now, nor will they ever be rare. After their "hot" period, you could not sell most 69 grades for what the coin costs plus the grading fee.

I buy a tube of ASE's here and there for silver investment, but honestly even there if you are buying for investment, bullion from one of the more trusted companies such as NWTM, or Scottsdale is a better overall value.

If true rarity is what you desire, there are plenty of beautiful coins from our heritage available that are much more collectible and hold much higher investment potential than ASE's.

Well Gentlemen, I just got the bill for the coins and it turns out that I paid $88.00 to get 5 coins graded. 4 ASE WP set and another coin. I used my 5 free early bird coupon; if not the total cost would have been $161.60. Now if I just brought a set from one of the online coin guys it would have cost me $269 for one 70 set. So gamble is I hoping for 70's. I am rethinking my buying from the mint and sending in the coins. Your thoughts my follow Collectors,

Happy Collecting,

Ed

When you submit your coins to NGC, remember that there is a 5 coin minimum per category(Modern, Modern Spec. etc) @$17-20 each plus Shp/Ins. both ways-the link is below. Sometimes it's worth it to send in a batch, especially If you're cashing in your 5-membership Freebies. If you have more than One set, or other eagles to certify- then maybe it's cost effective for you.

For myself, I went with a 70 certified pair from MCM @ $259.(Prices are rising!)

Best of luck, Gene

http://www.ngccoin.com/services/services.aspx

Guest Golddog3

The five coin minimum has been waived for the 2013 WP ASE set. Modern tier is $14 per coin and $8 invoice fee plus postage. If they come back as 70s - good deal, if 69s - sell them and move on. I'm thinking that broke-daddy might be right on the mark.

Well I got back my coins and I am happy with the outcome, I just received an email from NGC with my photo of my 4 coins I submitted for grading

Two - SP 70 2013 ENHANCED FINISHED FIRST RELEASE

One - PF 70 2013 W EAGLE REVERSE

ONE -- PF 69 2013 W EAGLE REVERSE

Very happy that I got 70's for my Enhanced Finished coins and to have a West Point set graded 70. All coins are labeled with the West Point Label First Release. I know lables mean nothing for some but for me it means this is the first enhanced finished coin minted at the West Point Mint. Not the first coin off the press.The reason I wanted the label in the first place.

Will post pic when I get the coins.

Happy Collecting.