• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Free Submission Coupon Almost Expired posted by Jackson

2 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I got them in the mail on Saturday morning and the coupon stated "postmarked by July 1st."

For years I have had both a PCGS and NGC membership. I do tend to side toward NGC/Collectors Society as my preferred Chat Boards, slabber of raw coins and registry however I join both sites for 1 primary reason. With a certain level of membership a collector can actually get a submission coupon ( 5 for NGC and 8 coins for PCGS) which makes the cost of membership essentially free when the coupon value is considered. In fact, I believe the savings of a 5 or 8 coin submission may actually be cheaper than joining these sites at the most basic memberships.

For years I always had cubbies of raw coins that I planned to get graded "some day." Or also I had those slabbed coins that I was always sure were undergraded by a point and would double in value ( and registry points) if they could get a single point upgrade, a star or now even a + sign. I have raw gold and raw world coins. I have ship coins to add to my sailing ship themed set- High Seas. There were always more coins to send away than money to pay for grading and slabbing.

My how times have changed. I actually only realized I almost let my coupon for 8 PCGS submissions expire because I was on vacation last week and had some time to go through some things in my desk ( after I got back from 4 days in Williamsburg, Busch Gardens and Jamestown VA).

What also amazed me was not that I almost let my $240 Voucher expire but that I struggled to actually assemble an 8 coin submission.

--I had 3 coins that really needed reholder ( including 1 that REALLY needs reholder after I experimented with a scratch removal technique--)

--I have 4 nice Peruvian gold 20 sol pieces that are raw but I already have 2 high grade Sols in NGC slabs and didn't want to mix the set.

--I have 4 of these, or 5 for regrade...or a 6 coin set of world coins--you get the idea...I couldn't come up with either 8 coins of same service, holder/reholder/regrade or crossover, same country or US vs World...I was getting frustrated and I needed to get the forms done, the coins in flips and the package wrapped and mailed by the next morning....

In the end I "settled" on 8 half dollars. I went through some raw Walkers of harder dates which if they grade VF should be about $80-$150 each, 1 Barber which is an easier date --1910-S-- but a solid VF30, and a long shot with a superbly struck and clean 1965 Kennedy Half from a mint set.

The Walkers include some scarce dates like 1919, 23-S, 27-S and 29-S and all are problem free with normal wear. The Kennedy is a chance at a prize. An MS65, 66 or --67 even would be a significant score. The 1965 SMS's are pretty common in those grades and the real money is in cameo or DC/Ultra--but a mint set 1965 in gem quality is a scarce coin.

So that is what I ended up sending away--not exactly a submission that I'm gonna be checking on daily to see its progress or the grades. All of the coins will grade. The Walkers will be a mix of F to low VF's..the Barber a solid VF and hopefully the Kennedy garners at least a MS65.

Here is a coin I just won from the recent Stacks/Bowers auction in Baltimore. A 1916 Walker MS64 in an old fattie--the coin has luster, patina and lots of character...happy hunting e1..

13963.jpg

See more journals by Jackson

Jackson,

Nice Walker!! MS64 is a swell grade for the 1916 date. I also sent in 2 Kennedy halves this submission with NGC. A 1964 with broken rays and a 1966 SMS with no FG. Hope they both do well as I can afford the grading but the dealers prices on variety listed coins can get steep.

Good luck on that submission!!! :)