• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My 1st GSA Morgan CC Purchase

7 posts in this topic

I haven't made a purchase for over a month but couldn't resist this coin's.....

I haven't made a purchase for over a month but couldn't resist this Carson City Morgan's great crescent rainbow obverse toning. This picture doesn't due this coin justice as the luster just jumps off this NGC 1884CC GSA MS63* graded Morgan. I looked at a bunch of GSA's the last few months, and when a bid on a Buffalo nickel I went strongly after fell through, this coin became the "consolation prize" and I couldn't be happier ! The coin came boxed with the original GSA 1972 packaging and the registration slip. My dad had purchased one of these for me but it was sold (too quickly) many years ago with the rest of my coin collection to pay for college expenses. Now that I have this piece it is unlikely to depart my collection so fast.

When you open the box you are immediately struck by the inscription which reads as follows,

" As we approach America's Bicentennial, this historic silver dollar is one of the most valuable reminders of or national heritage" RICHARD NIXON

Wow !!! two things, first the coin really makes me think of my dad and all the great times and life's teachings he gave me, and two, boy am I getting old !!!!

I will add to the GSA set when I can find pieces that match the crescent obverse rainbow toning that this coin possesses. The toning provides an incredible contrast to the portrait of Miss Liberty, fully dramatizing George Morgan's masterpiece.

Happy coin hunting !

Rich

13962.jpg

See more journals by RichH

That sure is an attractive toner Rich! I love the GSA's in their old holders graded by NGC. I've got six of them and I am pleased with them all. I'm kind of partial to Morgans, so I 'm kind of glad you got this coin over the Buffalo Nickel! All the best!

Gary

Great GSA Rich. For a 63, the cheek is very nice. I've seen more damage on 64's and 65's than your specimen.

I too collect the GSA's. I have yet to pull the trigger on a toner, but I have a few PL and DPL that I like a lot.