• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1876-1976 Cententenial US Mint Denver Colorado Large Token

9 posts in this topic

There are quite a few folks here that are in the know in regards to tokens and such. I was hoping someone might be able to give me a little insight into this coin/token that was minted from the Denver Colorado Mint.

%2524T2eC16N%252C%2521%2529QE9s3HDw7SBRwZl8MfNQ%257E%257E60_57.JPG

%2524T2eC16d%252C%2521zcE9s4g3hi%252CBRwZmGu19g%257E%257E60_57.JPG

It looks to me that it is going to arrive in a very nice condition. Still in original mint cello. I have found a little info on it but the opinions on it that I have found on previous posts in other forums and such are anywhere from worthless to low mintage and probably worth a little with a generous collector interest.

What do you folks here think. Desirable collectible or paper weight?

It was a special issue included in the regular US mint 1976 Denver

souvenir set. I believe this is their only source so mintage is low. It

can be considered a bicentennial issue as well since the Philly token

in their '76 souvenir set was also a special issue bicentennial theme.

The souvenir sets were made between 1971 or 1972 until 1998 at their

respective mints. The coins are generally good quality but not up to re-

gular mint set standards. These are just nicer run of the mill coins where

mint set coins are made under stricter conditions. The earlier souvenir

set mintages were quite modest.

Thanks for that insight and background. Sounds like it might be something, if in good condition or better, would be desirable to some collectors. Of-course i would imagine the complete set would be a much better find.

Well I look forward to seeing what kid of shape it is in when I get my hands on it.

Also I wonder if NGC or PCGS grades and slabs these things?

I'm sure that would be a waste of money but I am still curious to know .... I have wasted money many times before.... why not again.

I'd be interested to know if it isn't cut from a set.

Well I found one thread over ATS about this but I lost it. But in that thread I understood that it was part of a set of 3 total. 1 Copper, 1 Bronze, and one Silver.

Would have loved to have found the silver one. I believe this one is Copper since thre is one spot on the reverse near one of the windows that has what looks to be a copper spot. Other than that the think is a 70.

I got it in today and went ahead and removed it from the cello so I could get a better look at it and placed it in a capsule thereafter. I think I am going to get in touch with the seller and ask them if they have the rest of the set since they said they had aquired it back in 1976 and it has been just sitting around collecting dust. Maybe I will get lucky and they will have the Silver and Bronze too. I would pay them good money if they did.

I'd like to have a silver one myself.

I'm guessing the cellophane was perfectly square like it was the original packaging rather than cut on two sides like it came from a set. If it did come from its own set then there's no reason to believe it's scarce.

After searching around a bit I found this: Struck in Gold

I am still searching but I think they actually came in a set as well as in cello. The one I have shown here seems to sell anywhere from $8 or $10 to $30 or so. I am searching for the silver one. I can't touch that Gold one though.

How can you tell if something is Bronze or Copper?

How can you tell if something is Bronze or Copper?

Thanks for the info.

Bronze tends to be darker and copper is redder. The terms are used almost interchangeably to differentiate from brass which has a light color. Mostly pure copper has a slightly "porous" look to it.