• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Franklin Half Type 1 and Type 2

16 posts in this topic

Most books list the Franklin 1956 proof Type 1&2. The registry list those also.

However The Type 1 and 2 reverses for the MS coins do not seem to get any

attention or listings. I would seem to me that these are fairly major differences

on the reverse of a coin. For instance the 1959-p in MS seems to show up in

both types. Any thoughts?

One would think this would be on par with the American Eagle 2008 reverse of 07. After all

you have business strikes with the reverse dies made from the hub used for proofs. When the

red book does not list them and ngc does not list them, dealers on ebay do not look for them.

It makes it real hard to spot them by looking thru all the tiny unfocused pics.

The Type 1 variety is much tougher to find in high grade proof and perhaps undervalued. But I do not know about the MS versions.

Most books list the Franklin 1956 proof Type 1&2. The registry list those also.

However The Type 1 and 2 reverses for the MS coins do not seem to get any

attention or listings. I would seem to me that these are fairly major differences

on the reverse of a coin. For instance the 1959-p in MS seems to show up in

both types. Any thoughts?

The type 1 and 2 business strikes were left out of the 2011 Cherrypicker's Guide due to what the editor saw as a lack of interest and space. This makes no sense to me, as the 1958 Type 2 business strike, in particular, is extremely valuable.

Everything you need to know about the MS Type ! and II can be found in this thread I wrote here: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=2&Number=3490208

1959 Type IIs are not worth a significant premium, because they are actually more common than a lot of people think. Up to 20% of the mintage may be Type II. The 1958 is less common, but there isn't enough interest to drive a significant premium.

Everything you need to know about the MS Type ! and II can be found in this thread I wrote here: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=2&Number=3490208

1959 Type IIs are not worth a significant premium, because they are actually more common than a lot of people think. Up to 20% of the mintage may be Type II. The 1958 is less common, but there isn't enough interest to drive a significant premium.

1958s will sell for big money in gem grades, if the variety is noticed.

That was not my experience when I bought mine. It is graded 65, and I got it for $45 a few years ago.

That sounds like a cherry-pick, not a variety that was identified as such, or otherwise noticed by multiple bidders. This one was:

http://www.teletrade.com/coins/lot.asp?auction=3429&lot=1874

The market for these has changed drastically in a few years time. Also, 1958 is believed to be extremely rare in FBL.

One would think this would be on par with the American Eagle 2008 reverse of 07. After all you have business strikes with the reverse dies made from the hub used for proofs.

A more apt comparison would be the 1998 - 2000 Wide and close AM cents. The Wide AM cents are also coins made using a die hubbed from a proof design hub. The ASE 08 rev of 07 is a coin made using a die left over from a previous year after a design change had been made.

If I am interpreting correctly, the OP is asking about 56 MS Type I and II?

If I am interpreting correctly, the OP is asking about 56 MS Type I and II?

There is no 1956 MS Type I and II. They are on the proof coins. The MS Type I and II's were on the 1958 and 1959 coins.

That was not my experience when I bought mine. It is graded 65, and I got it for $45 a few years ago.

Thank you for assisting the OP with this answer. I am not sure the OP understood this, and the OP should have the knowledge of the expert in regard to the topic (thumbs u