• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who can answer this? posted by The Wells Collection

10 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

A Question

I own 2 proof indian head pennies, one in my set and another that they will not let me add.

The one they won't let me add is a 1891 proof details, altered color. I have seen other sets with details coins in them alongside non-details coins. Are the proofs special or something or am I just doing something wrong.

13938.JPG

See more journals by The Wells Collection

Use the Contact link - it's kind of hidden in the top right of your main page. I've used it very successfully with problems like this occur. I recently had a cert number that a set wouldn't accept as valid, but it showed in the NGC DB. They researched it and found that the certification # had changed during a re-holder but somehow the old number was put on the holder. Within 48 hours it was fixed and in my set.

Todd

One final comment - details coins are eligible for proper slots at half the point value I believe. I've had several over the last few years reside in my sets from time to time.

I sent a message and then less than 2 hours later I get a message that my coin was added to my set.

Problem must have been on their side, but once again I am happy with NGC and their service.

Thanks TD Henson for the advice that should have came to me on my own but never seems to. I'm glad I could put this coin in its home. :banana:

Maybe the issue was that as a proof coin--it actually has no grade at all.

Details coins get 50% of the value of coins in the same grade but without issues...example==== an XF40 coin at 800 points would see a XF details coin get 400 points...

.........however......... with a "proof details" coin there is huge ambiguity. There is no actual numeric or point grade to assign and divide in half. Maybe the coin should get a PF63 details grade and then divide the points given to a PF63 in half?

I don't see how they remedied this without just making up a random number of points...how many points did they give and at what level of proof grade is it 50% of if they did?...just curious...

It is 50% of PF60, so very low points. I didn't buy it for the points, I liked how it looked and it was cheap. Someday there may be a process that can remove the alteration, strip it down to bare copper and actually grade it. I bet there is some amazing reverse electroplating process that takes microns of alteration/oxide off that is better than dipping to remove toning.

There may even be marks/scratches associated with the original alteration. The strangest of things passes through my head as I look at this coin.

I also bought it because there are only 2350 of these ever made.

The pic I posted is not the best, check it out in my sets and it has the teletrade pic that made me buy it.

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/WCM/CoinView.aspx?PeopleSetCoinID=1565793

no need for justifying buying a details grade coin--I have more than one coin that is either a tougher date that may be lightly cleaned or have an old cleaning and is regaining patina--also I have more than one coin which says "questionable color" which I believe to be natural.....

PS: there is an electro-process coin cleaning.....maybe even NCS does it--it may be worth a call to them