• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Guy

20 posts in this topic

Well Im the new Guy! I love the morgan silver dallar and I had a small un-graded collection but when moving years ago they got lost or taken mad.gif . fast forward 15 years later and I get a morgan dollar for my birthday and now I have the bug again! I have picked up a copy of the Morgan silver dollar red book and have started to read it. If any one has advice they would like to give the new guy about buying morgans, Im all ears. The one I just got is a 1879-S Morgan NGC MS64 and Im looking to slowly build it from there.

Thanks,

David

I had this in the wrong place so I moved it!

Hi David,

Welcome to the boards. People here are very helpful....Glad to hear you have the bug again. It's a great hobby.

One of my Morgan favorites has always been the 1879s with the reverse of 1878.

Paul

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS......NEWBIE!!!!!

You have selected a great series and a popular one. If you are just looking to put together a set you might look at raw or unslabbed BU coins as you could save a lot of money.

If your grading skills aren't up to par and you like higher quality specimens then Graded Morgans are the way to go.

For most of us on these boards we stick with the better grading companies as you can be sure of what you are getting with your hard earned money.

PCGS, NGC, and ANACS are generally considered the big 3.

I personally don't trust Accugrade, ICG, SGS, SEGS, PCI etc. If you see a coin you like in their holder it's ok to by the coin, but I typically would expect the coin to be overgraded by at least 1 grade.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! Do you recomend paying the $100 to join the community? Im looking to build a nice graded morgan set, Im going to take my time and try to look for good deals if I can find them. Im just worried that being new I might buy a coin thats over priced so Im going to be asking you guys for help when Im looking at coins and asking if you thinks its a good deal so any help you can give I will be glade to take. How do you feel about E-bay coins?

Howdy and welcome.

Unless you plan on submitting several coins for grading, I would simply pass on joining the "Collector's Community", or whatever it is that they call it.

Ebay is very hit-or-miss as I think all of us have been able to get very good deals on occassion while there are also landmines everywhere.

Don't worry about spending a little too much for nice coins, worry about spending anything at all for the wrong pieces.

Since you are new to the game... try and buy only certified coins only...until you learn how to grade better... That is off ebay... also find yourself a local dealer who you feel you trust well ... he will bve able to give you alot of good advice... Also another good plan to take is if you know this is series you really want to go after.... start with the key dates... becuase those will go up the fastest.... Ebay is a good place to buy coins, just be very carefull ... also check for a return policy... Good Luck and happy hunting!!

David,

Read these two sentences again, because truer words have never been written.

Ebay is very hit-or-miss as I think all of us have been able to get very good deals on occassion while there are also landmines everywhere.

Don't worry about spending a little too much for nice coins, worry about spending anything at all for the wrong pieces.

Great advice for a new collector Tom! thumbsup2.gif

John

If I get a NGC coin off e-bay how can I look up the code on the case to make sure its real or do I even have to worry about that? I only plan on buying graded coins and will look out for them land mines! Any one know what the heck a MS63 star is? I tryed search but came up with nothing its a NGC graded coin MS63 with a star next to it.

David,

NGC gives a star ‘*’ to coins that they believe have outstanding eye appeal compared to what is normally seen for the issue. The star coins make up only a very small percentage of the total number of NGC graded coins and are actively sort out by collectors.

John

That appears to be a great looking coin you won for yourself David. thumbsup2.gif

This is a perfect example of the advice that TomB gave you about not worrying too much about spending a little more for a nice coin.

If the coin turns out to be as nice as it looks, you now have a coin that will give you untold hours of enjoyment, and if a time comes when you want to sell that coin you should have no problem finding a buyer.

Congratulations on your new coin!

John

From one David to another David---WELCOME!

And whatever you do, don't buy any coins from any members here! They're all a bunch of shysters!!!!!!! 27_laughing.gifJK!!!