• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1883 Proof Gold Dollar

14 posts in this topic

This is my first and probably only "old" gold Proof coin, an 1883 gold dollar. As a long time gold collector I have never owned an "old" gold piece before. Previously my collection has been limited to the modern pieces. I have long wanted to have one brilliant "old" gold Proof, and here it is. This piece is listed as Breen's #1 variety in his monograph on gold dollars. The diagnostics are a bit of die rust behind Ms. Liberty's ear and the first "8" in the date is entirely under the first "L" in "DOLLAR."

This piece is PCGS graded PR-65, Cam with a green CAC sticker. It looks better in hand than it does in this picture with virtually unblemished surfaces and a sharp cameo contrast. The mint was 207 pieces. PCGS estimates that there are 70 survivors with 25 of those grading PR-65 or better. After 1883 the Proof gold dollar mintages zoomed up to over 1,000 pieces per year for the remainder of the series. This makes the Type 3 gold dollar the most common "old" gold type coin in Proof. Gold coin Proof mintages were often limited to less than 100 pieces with as few as 20 pieces not all unusual.

This coin did not grade higher because some minor disturbances on Ms. Liberty's cheek that can be seen with a 10X glass. There is also a mint caused lint mark (struck through) just below the point of Ms. Liberty's bust.

1883GoldDollarO_zps2cc5d103.jpg1883GoldDollarR_zps6ab66eef.jpg

A very nice example. Most gold dollars - including proofs - ended up in jewelry. They were particularly popular in England.

A very nice example. Most gold dollars - including proofs - ended up in jewelry. They were particularly popular in England.

Yes a lot of them did end up ruined as jewely. I didn't know about the English connection.

Bill,

See my article, “Unneeded in Commerce” [Gold dollars used for export jewelry] in Coin World for 2006.

207 made? That's not rare! Wouldn't you rather have a "rare" 1995-W Silver Eagle for $85K? meh

lol

Thanks for sharing this!

jom

I never said that it will stop me from buying the modern commemorative gold pieces. If anything it might be the end of my old gold Proof coin buys.

Nice coin. I only have a few PL 19th century gold. Call it a poor man's proof gold. Thanks for posting.