• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1891-S, help me out.....GTG

12 posts in this topic

It's really difficult to get a good assessment of the coin with these photos. The angle at which they are taken can sometimes hide minor surface marks or other imperfections. When you take pictures of your coins, try taking them directly overhead of the coin. That gives a much better view of the fields and the devices.

With that said, my best guess would be MS62-MS63. There appears to be some marks between the Cap and the "M" of Unum, and what looks to me like a couple of small dings in that same area. There is some chatter on the cheek and to the left of Liberty's bust. And the marks towards the bottom of her neck are noticable as well. The reverse looks fairly clean from what I can see, with the exception of that long scratch to the left between the wreath leaves and the Eagle's wing. There is some nice toning on the upper part of the Obverse/Reverse rim.

As far as submitting for grading, that is up to you to make the final decision!

There are numerous contact marks and mediocre luster; I would call this MS62 (and it would be a nice specimen for this particular grade level).

Edited to add: It would need to be at least MS64, maybe MS65 for me to consider crossing it personally.

62-63 with those what seem to be harsh contact marks on the neck. Maybe they aren't as harsh as they seem but that's the impression I get.

If those marks on the neck were on the cheek, it would lower the grade for sure, but since the neck is not a focal point, they are not as important.

In hand, the mark on the neck is not so much nick, but more like a contact line from another coin.

I'm more worried about the line next to eagles left wing. That is the worst hit on the coin.

Thanks for everyone's opinions.

I stopped collecting for about a year and have started pulling out everything and dusting it off. Trying to spark my interests again!

In hand, the mark on the neck is not so much nick, but more like a contact line from another coin.

I'm more worried about the line next to eagles left wing. That is the worst hit on the coin.

Thanks for everyone's opinions.

I stopped collecting for about a year and have started pulling out everything and dusting it off. Trying to spark my interests again!

That scratch is a little more than just a hit! It wouldn't surprised me if they body bagged the coin because of it, but it is on the Reverse. So they may not do a details grade. It's hard to say really. But the coin does have a nice overall look to it. I like the look it has. It would look nice in an album with more toners! That's what I'm doing now. I've reached the point in my Morgan set where all the coins I need now will cost me moon money. So I'm picking up some beautiful toners from a source and paying very little in premiums.

Welcome back to the collecting world and I hope you are able to catch that coin bug again!