• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is gold money? this video is very telling

4 posts in this topic

Let me give you some advice. If you are only interested in discussing gold and silver, you should consider the PCGS Message Boards where there is an entire section devoted to it or some other non-coin blog.

If you keep on starting posts here for this topic, you are going to encounter "fatigue" and eventually get no replies. I think members here are interested in this subject but only secondarily and ocassionally. This is a coin and numismatic forum and most contributors here are more interested in collecting, not bulllion.

I didn't watch the video because I'm on a laptop, and I don't like to wonder around with it. Here's my take on gold.

Gold is a commodity. It is not money, but historically it has been used as a medium for money. The value of gold is measured in terms of money at the current going rates. Whether or not you make money from holding gold is strictly a measure of timing. There is nothing magical about gold although when I look at my best collector coins, the magic is always there because I am a collector.

So far as bullion gold goes, it is a commodity like pork bellies and orange juice. The main difference is that it is easier to store and nowhere nearly as perishable.

This is a great video, Bernanke has trouble answering these valid questions, but some of you will agree with his thinking.

It's nothing more than an infomercial. :news: