• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

how do I find out if a coin is real or fake?

12 posts in this topic

So I have a 1776 Continental Curency coin. I've had it since I was a little kid. I know nothing about it. I found it in my great grandpa's old office after he died. With so many fakes I'd be surprised if it was real but you never know. I took a pic with my phone but I can't figure out how to attach it.

If you click the reply button a window will open up for a reply. Below that box there is a link for file manager. Click that and you should be home free.

post a high quality photo here OR submit to ngc OR ask a knowledgable collector/dealer at a local regional show

then go from there

easiest way post a photo here.............................

go to a kinkos they have scanners they can scan the coin for you and send to your e mail then it is easy to upload here it will cost maybe a few dollars------------------ easiest way

You could use the website: photobucket.com, to upload the pictures, copy the url, and then paste the url into the image bar in reply message. At least that the website, photobucket.com, is free.

Many of these coins are cast. Check for a seam around the edge. The replicas of the Continental Dollar are fairly common and probably outnumber the real specimens 10 to 1.

post a high quality photo here OR submit to ngc OR ask a knowledgable collector/dealer at a local regional show

Checking with a knowledgeable collector/dealer is a start, but this is one of those coins that is really hard to authenticate. I have known a dealers who had a lot of experience and were very good at what they do, who were fooled on these coins. The copies go back into the 19th century and some of them are very deceptive.

If an expert tells you the piece might be genuine, then it is time to send it to PCGS or NGC have it authenticated. That is only way to be 100% sure, and certification will greatly enhance the price you will receive.

Here's a technique I learned as a boy to determine if a coin was real or fake. Skip to about 0:45

That was one of my favorite cartoons as a kid! Simon Barsinister and Natasia!

It's funny the things you remember. I haven't thought about that cartoon for many years, but as soon as the question was asked it was the first thing that popped in my mind.