• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pidcock Menagerie Magic Latern slides...a connection?

6 posts in this topic

I found these two art slides interesting, so I added them to my Pidcock Collection a while back. They were used with a device called the "Magic Lantern," in which was in use from the 1790's- to the mid 1820's for slideshows. They are labeled "Pidcock Animal Art." Although there is no 100% proof that these are depictions of the animal's of the Pidcock Menagerie (which adorn the popular Pidcock Tokens)...I have a hunch that they could be. Whatcha think?

KGrHqFHJEgFGH34gC5BRo4eZFQ60_12_zpsbd73b8d7.jpgT2eC16Zw0E9szNZt01BRo3Tk5Pg60_12_zps2572771b.jpg

Thanks for looking!

PS:

Here are your two lantern side critters from Pidcock's broadshide poster:

http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/collection_online/collection_object_details/collection_image_gallery.aspx?partid=1&assetid=1279556&objectid=3407664

You could make an outstanding show exhibit from the tokens, slides and posters, etc. I bet ANA still has exhibit openeings....

Very interesting, thank you for sharing! Kim's (HiHo) collection is a lot more extensive. I'd gladly loan them to someone in the forum if they ever did an exhibit.