• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Today I paid for the plastic, not the coin (#2)

13 posts in this topic

So.. After finding that cool NGC SAMPLE peace dollar, I started reading more about the different types of NGC sample slabs, trying to figure out which ones were scarce, and what other types of coins were put into sample slabs.. I also went through my coins and my bought/sold lists to see if I have (or had) other samples.. None are really worth mentioning as they were all the regular stuff - 1964 roosies, 1964 Kennedy's, state quarters etc.. One was pretty cool: a 1982 D Washington half dollar NGC SAMPLE graded MS66. I bought it on eBay for $33 (out of boredom, really) and later had it sold for me by Shane for $131 or (!!) some number close to that.

Anyways, I decided it would be fun to have a few cool/unique samples. So I called a couple dealers/friends, couldn't find anything really interesting.. Then I saw this on eBay:

944B9F8D-D6D3-47E2-8254-8C25D0B54C4C-239-0000002649F5F7E9_zps2ed3bca6.jpg

9663DD28-31AA-4973-B701-577ED802881D-239-0000002653B22C08_zps6e7efce7.jpg

And now added a *rainbow toned* NGC SAMPLE to my collection :grin:

Thanks guys. I'm becoming more and more interested in these sample slabs, and actually picked up a pretty unique piece yesterday - I will post it soon, as I do not yet have it in hand

Yep it is NGC 9

The Washington commemorative I don't think he has listed at all. What he calls NGC 5 has an MS65 graded piece, and 5.1 is a proof, not MS.

Maybe these only came up for sale recently, years after he passed away..? Idk

Thank astro, I'm working on a set of early sample slabs, for now it sits there..

Keenooo, I like this dime! Very nice!