• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MY 1ST AU64 NEWP 4 2013 :)

19 posts in this topic

I look at AU58 coinage daily but just haven't seen anything online or at shows that has struck my fancy since September 2012. Until this 1927 Philly Peace dollar which is a date I've always liked with it being the second lowest mintage in the series. I've also never seen this date with any sort of attractive toning before and this example has very eye appealing album tone. Along wonderful cartwheel luster, not plagued with hairlines you normally see at this grade level, and no visible rub to the naked eye... Are all the ingredients for a AU64.

Enjoy! :)

2z6ugj7.jpg

Nice! Good color and pretty well struck for a Peace. I really like how the rim toning highlights the date.

Grading service was?

Nice! Good color and pretty well struck for a Peace. I really like how the rim toning highlights the date.

Grading service was?

Thanks FishyOne... Oops PCGS AU58 :)

Those tank tracks on the neck make me think AU63! lol

I disagree. It looks like it would be an AU65 without those marks, and an AU64 with them. ;)

More seriosuly, that is a great looking coin.

I disagree. It looks like it would be an AU65 without those marks, and an AU64 with them. ;)

More seriously, that is a great looking coin.

Thanks MarkFeld! :)

Hey Coindude nah_nah.giflol

Grading service was?

I agree! I love that toning

More seriously, that is a great looking coin.

Thanks MarkFeld! :)

Hey Coindude nah_nah.giflol

lol best thread of the month. You know I was just bustin your chops! Love the color man and I think it is a 64.

I look at AU58 coinage daily but just haven't seen anything online or at shows that has struck my fancy since September 2012. Until this 1927 Philly Peace dollar which is a date I've always liked with it being the second lowest mintage in the series. I've also never seen this date with any sort of attractive toning before and this example has very eye appealing album tone. Along wonderful cartwheel luster, not plagued with hairlines you normally see at this grade level, and no visible rub to the naked eye... Are all the ingredients for a AU64.

Enjoy! :)

2z6ugj7.jpg

Beautiful AU Peace Dollar. Very attractive toning. However, I am requesting help in understanding the AU/MS numerical grades being offered in this thread.

I don't quite understand the grading parameters. Are the majority of postings of the opinion that based on strike, luster and lack of hits in focal areas, this coin would grade as MS if not for wear on the devices that made a TPG and any informed collectors assign a grade of AU58 ?

I'm asking for an education. What does AU63, AU64, AU65 mean for collectors? Is there any added value?

Hey just asking. IMO any coin no matter how well struck with great luster and clean fields and devices and lacking focal area hits, if there is evidence of rub/wear the coin is AU. About Uncirculated---pretty clear definition.

Carl

...I am requesting help in understanding the AU/MS numerical grades being offered in this thread.

I don't quite understand the grading parameters. Are the majority of postings of the opinion that based on strike, luster and lack of hits in focal areas, this coin would grade as MS if not for wear on the devices that made a TPG and any informed collectors assign a grade of AU58 ?

I'm asking for an education. What does AU63, AU64, AU65 mean for collectors? Is there any added value?

Hey just asking. IMO any coin no matter how well struck with great luster and clean fields and devices and lacking focal area hits, if there is evidence of rub/wear the coin is AU. About Uncirculated---pretty clear definition.

Carl

It's a very nice AU58 that is a rub or two away from grading MS64, or 63, 65, etc. You won't likely see or hear AU60 or AU61 because that implies a beat-up coin. 58 graded pieces that are a wisp away from choice (or gem) mint state are worth a premium. In this case the color, strike, eye appeal all combine to make the OP's coin worth MS money.

...I am requesting help in understanding the AU/MS numerical grades being offered in this thread.

Carl

It's a very nice AU58 that is a rub or two away from grading MS64, or 63, 65, etc. You won't likely see or hear AU60 or AU61 because that implies a beat-up coin. 58 graded pieces that are a wisp away from choice (or gem) mint state are worth a premium. In this case the color, strike, eye appeal all combine to make the OP's coin worth MS money.

Thanks. I do understand the difference you describe and that certainly applies to the OP s coin.

Carl