• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1883-CC GSA (raw) grade opinions?

16 posts in this topic

Ok. I'm buying this coin this week, it is not graded (and I'm not intending on sending it in, either)

from pics I'm thinking MS63, and paying 63 money. What do you guys think?

5C2DD0A0-3A97-4C49-A4AD-87B50FB842B2-2846-000003D516CF229D_zpscf6773c1.jpg

B31CD4C2-AEC0-4FF7-8444-813B8A8A8D4F-2846-000003D523216F32_zpse0a1fd71.jpg

All comments and opinions are welcome and appreciated

Thanks

I think that it is worth MS-63 money, but it would not surprise me if the GSA called this one a "Carson City Dollar" and not an "Uncirculated Carson City Dollar" because of the toning and perhaps the bag marks. From what I heard they hired some college students who got a quick grading course to separate the Uncirculated pieces from the rest. They didn't always get it right because toning was one of the things that prevented a piece from being called "uncirculated."

I think that it is worth MS-63 money, but it would not surprise me if the GSA called this one a "Carson City Dollar" and not an "Uncirculated Carson City Dollar" because of the toning and perhaps the bag marks. From what I heard they hired some college students who got a quick grading course to separate the Uncirculated pieces from the rest. They didn't always get it right because toning was one of the things that prevented a piece from being called "uncirculated."

That is correct. It is in a "Carson city dollar" plastic, not the "uncirculated" one - though it is clearly uncirculated.

you dont think that would make any difference if I was to sell this coin or submit it to a TPG sometime in the future, do you? It should be judged by what it is, right?

Also, when you say perhaps the bag marks prevented it from being called "uncirculated", that's again due to the lack of experience of the "graders", correct? Cause the bag marks don't look that severe to me, I've seen worse dollars in the "uncirculated" plastics..

Thanks

honestly i wuld say ms-62 because of all the deep bagmarks and because NGC is really tight right now but in a better day maybe a 63 star because of the nice reverse toning but im a Newbie so maybey im wrong

63 with bonus color!

The color wasn't a bonus, it was the point of buying this one :cool:

The 83-CC is very common I have 4 or 5 of them (raw) in ms64 condition, and all were bought for less than this one..

This one is a gift, though, so that's fine

Thanks!

I'd call this one a low end 63. The toning is not attractive to me - the very dark, almost black, colors on the reverse are unappealing. The thick toning kills the already weak luster, and makes this a strong pass from me.

I know a lot of people like this look though (for some reason, I'm not sure why). So, if you like it then buy it - that's what this is all about.

I'd call this one a low end 63. The toning is not attractive to me - the very dark, almost black, colors on the reverse are unappealing. The thick toning kills the already weak luster, and makes this a strong pass from me.

I know a lot of people like this look though (for some reason, I'm not sure why). So, if you like it then buy it - that's what this is all about.

I know what you mean, but the look of almost-black tone that progresses to a rainbow toning is appealing to me personally (did you see that 60' quarter I just bought?)

Also, I think it is probably a little lighter in hand than pics suggest - I think I see shades of blue/purple/green rather than black - especially around ATES of "STATES". Anyway even if its not, I still like it :)

Thanks!

I think it's a solid 62. Too much deep chatter in the cheek to expect anything else really. Not a fan of the carbon spot either. That's just a personal thing, however, any Carson City GSA is something special in my book.

from pics I'm thinking MS63, and paying 63 money. What do you guys think?

All comments and opinions are welcome and appreciated

Thanks

Honestly, I think it would be very low end for a MS63 and given the excessive number of bag marks, it would be deserving of a grade of MS62. The terminal toning on the reverse means more than likely it will have muted luster in hand at least in that area. This is a negative in my opinion. I wouldn't pay more than generic uncirculated GSA (e.g. MS60-MS61) money for this piece personally.

I wouldn't pay more than generic uncirculated GSA (e.g. MS60-MS61) money for this piece personally.

How much is that , approximately?

In shows, I never paid more than $185 for a raw GSA (actually I don't think I ever owned a graded one), And always sold them for $200-$220. But these buy prices were wholesale so I'm not sure what the market price is for "generic"?

To date, I only bought two GSA cc's on eBay (including this one) - and this was the expensive one of the two at $235.

Thanks

P.S I'm not bothered by "terminal toning". I actually like the effect created by almost-black tone that turns to colorful toning. But, I think in hand the top part of the reverse is lighter than shows in the pics. Around ATES of "states" i see purple shades and even some torquise, rather than black. I should have the coin in hand this Monday, ill know for sure then.