• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG - 1884 CC Morgan Dollar - GSA

14 posts in this topic

I'm curious as to what you guys think of this coin. I've received a couple of opinions from the local dealers but wanted more input before considering sending it in.

1884CCMorganDollar-OBV_zps58ef512d.jpg

1884CCMorganDollar-REV_zps5bf45fda.jpg

Given that it is a Carson City coin, by PCGS and NGC standards, it is a MS66. I personally would call it a 65 especially given the location of the marks, and I would never buy something like this as a 66..

There is too much clatter on Ms. Liberty's face and on the eagle's breast to grade beyond MS-64 IMO. The luster is muted frost and not blazing which would preclude a "luster based" MS-65.

It is a nice coin, but calling this MS-65 let alone MS-66 is "grade-flation" which sometimes happens with Carson City dollars.

It is a nice coin, but calling this MS-65 let alone MS-66 is "grade-flation" which sometimes happens with Carson City dollars.

I don't disagree with you per se; it's just that the original poster asked us to "guess the grade," which requires us to consider the TPG standards which are quite generous on these. Based on TPG standards, I don't think those grades are that far off. I have seen comparable coins in high grade holders with a CAC sticker. That's why I said that regardless of the TPG grade, I would never purchase the coin at that [MS66] grade level.

Given that it is a Carson City coin, by PCGS and NGC standards, it is a MS66. I personally would call it a 65 especially given the location of the marks, and I would never buy something like this as a 66..

Exactly why I guessed MS65

The TPG's are very forgiving on CC morgans, and even more on CC GSA morgans.

But there are many PQ cleaner 65's and I would not pay 65 money for the lower quality ones if it was for my personal collection. Especially on this date that is pretty easy to find high grade.. It's a very nice coin as 64+