• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kennedy halfs ebay deal.

11 posts in this topic

this listing was for $31.50 in Kennedy bicentennials halfs. for $25.00 ? am i missing something? i know shipping is $6, but how does he make any money? was he hopping for a bidding war?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kennedy-Bicentennials-31-50-face-value-/360670657244?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item53f9a57adc&autorefresh=true#ht_64wt_1200

The sell would have been better off to just dump them into a Coin Star

I know right, what are the chances I dont receive them. after he pays Paypal, ebay, then shipping. Not the most profitable deal ive seen. :takeit:

Maybe just hard up for some cash and letting some things go for a quick sell. I've been there. Not that bad .... but I have let things go for less than the going price just to get them sold quick.

Maybe just hard up for some cash and letting some things go for a quick sell. I've been there. Not that bad .... but I have let things go for less than the going price just to get them sold quick.

There is a difference between taking a loss of a numismatic coin for which you paid a premium, and selling coins only to net less than face value. The seller could have received $31.50 (free and clear of shipping, eBay, and PayPal fees) by depositing them in a bank account or exchanging them for cash. At face value, the coins are (obviously) very liquid.

I'm sure the buyer is as dumb founded as the seller was for not at least listing those halves at face value. Makes no sense...hoping for a bidding war to drive up the price is like waiting for the Skittles to rain from the sky.

There is a difference between taking a loss of a numismatic coin for which you paid a premium, and selling coins only to net less than face value. The seller could have received $31.50 (free and clear of shipping, eBay, and PayPal fees) by depositing them in a bank account or exchanging them for cash. At face value, the coins are (obviously) very liquid.

I see what you mean... I did not read it that well before. Poor fella'

Probably set up that auction, forgot to consider that it might not sell for more than face value and didn't think he could end the auction early and fix his mistake.

I had a number of Morgans around here that were not worth sending in for a grade so I figured I would just .99 auction them off and be done with them. Thankfully I saw my mistake early and ended the auction early and re listed with a starting bid above melt. :eek:

They all sold well above melt but I could have been in that guys shoes if I had not noticed that.

,99 cent Morgans... Get em while they last!

I picked up 115 Ike dollars for $100 on Craigslist last year. True story.

Guy said they gave him a hard time in stores when he tried to use them so he just wanted to get rid of them. I was more than happy to help him do that, obviously.

Talking about Craigslist, I also just sold 10 rolls of 1950-1963 nickels on there at $20/roll. This one guy was advertising that he needs per-1965 nickels for his daughter's coin collecting project

At school. I kinda feel like he thought they were silver and tried to buy them really cheap..? But when I asked again he kept saying he was not a coin dealer and not doing that for profit but for fun.. ??? Whatever works for these guys, as long as I'm exchanging money for more money..

I read an interesting thing about nickels the other day on a prepper blog, it seems if the govt does away with the nickel in its current state, they could easily be worth about triple face for metal content in the near future, not a bad investment if you had about 50,000 dollars worth.

I read an interesting thing about nickels the other day on a prepper blog, it seems if the govt does away with the nickel in its current state, they could easily be worth about triple face for metal content in the near future, not a bad investment if you had about 50,000 dollars worth.

Too bad about being against the law melting them....

Right now a 5c coin has about 6c worth of nickel in it.

Kinda cool cause unlike copper pennies, there's no need to go through these and sort them. Just go to the bank and buy boxes of nickels and put them away as is. I don't know about triple x FV, but an instant 20% profit is already not bad. Especially where you can always take those boxes back and get you investment back if anything..