• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE *COLLECTOR-DEALER* INTERACTION Continued..... posted by The Artist's Collection

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Before we, analyze the above problematic, fear driven, subject-matter I propose

the following:

Every Picture tells a story and as a picture so does the coin picture.

Who loves pictures the most?

The Artist's Collection do!

And you can't have fun without a bit of wry humor and less boring facts.

You are allowed to be witty by universal law: free will.

The subject of the coin dealer strikes fear deep into the center of the collector.

At least it does in this collector. There are as many reasons as there are collectors. I'm afraid it's really too expensive and a bit pointless if you don't have a reason. An emotional reason is as good as any any other. But if you have an eye you are doubly handicapped: Too much eye and not enough resources.

However, if you don't know the whole picture your walking blind. So what does one do? The answer is: research, pictures, data, comparison, coin facts, census, more research, commentary, articles, websites and much more.

One cannot allow a dealer to make decisions for one. It must be based on hands-on experience of looking and handling many coins over time. You instantly judge a coin to be AU50 or MS60. You can't rely on the dealer to tell what you what grade a coin is. Go to shows. Ask questions. Touch coins.

Then maybe every coin tells a story personally to you. And describe that story

in your comments.

What story does picture tell you??

13804.jpg

See more journals by The Artist's Collection

Too much eye and not enough resources.

However, if you don't know the whole picture your walking blind. So what does one do? The answer is: research, pictures, data, comparison, coin facts, census, more research, commentary, articles, websites and much more.

One cannot allow a dealer to make decisions for one. It must be based on hands-on experience of looking and handling many coins over time. You instantly judge a coin to be AU50 or MS60. You can't rely on the dealer to tell what you what grade a coin is.

Being a gold collector and looking for nice pieces it would seem to me that you have a better chance buying and learning from a respected dealer. That is your choice!! However as long as you are searching the bay for a super deal, you will usually find yourself at the short end of the stick. There are some greatly trusted dealers in our Money Market on chats that will take the time to help you make wiser choices.Just My Opinion!!----------Rick

harshly cleaned of course...and possibly whizzed...............hard to tell for certain but I'd quickly move on if I saw this for sale in an auction..