• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

And a question on this Jefferson Nickle Die Marks?

7 posts in this topic

This may look like someone drove over it on an asphalt Walmart parking lot but it is actually this way from the mint.

I was curious as to what would be the cause of this and if it is essentially worthless to anyone or do some folks like error pieces like these?

The pictures are kind of lacking but I am just now trying to learn how to use one of those USB microscope things and I was playing with Gamma and contrast and hue also.

Obverse_Nickle_1a.jpg

Obverse_Nickle_1d.jpg

Reverse_Nickle_1a.jpg

Maybe that will work and let you see what I see. It actually looks to me like part of a die chipped off and some got through before fixing it.

Thanks.

Ahhh. Ok.

Well probably worth nothing at all.... except $0.05 but I think I will list it on eBay store just for the hell of it.

I could see a nominal premium (maybe a $1 or so).

:kidaround:

Ok. Probably right. And with Free Shipping to go with that. ;)

How do you know that it came this way from the mint? The looks like like it is damaged to me, and the brightness leads me to think that it has been cleaned. When I first looked at the piece before I read your text, I thought that the top area you had circled looked like acid damage.

If it is mint caused, struck though is the most logical answer, but you usually don't see evidence of a struck though on both sides.

Well there are a couple of signs that indicate that it was from the mint that way. Those pictures I posted were manipulated through software messing around ....the top one anyway, and the others were adjusted to show the flaws more clearly.

Now here are a couple of pictures of the Nickel as you or I would see it in the palm of our hand and no loupe.

DSCN3264.JPG

And

DSCN3263.JPG

Now the gamma and contrast and such was adjusted correctly on those and you may notice that there hardly seems to be any imperfections at all. On the reverse you can see the affected area in the 5 o' clock position where the E and the R and the L and S are all situated in the area that after magnification reveals that the imperfection extends past the letters pointed out earlier yet the letters themselves are perfect.

Rear_Arrows.jpg

Since that was the case on the rear I could only envision some sort of die chip or something on the front but was told it was grease. Don't know. But the rear I think precludes any type of 'Road Rash' damage to the coin so I figure it must be with the die.

And here is a negative image of the front.

Negative.jpg

I am open to better explanations as to the damage to the rear yet the lettering is untouched.