• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does this Proof look Cameo in this picture?

21 posts in this topic

I was wondering if this looked like a Cameo Proof to anyone else. It was listed as such and wanted to get other opinions for future reference.

1.JPG

2.JPG

I don't think so, but then again, cameo contrasts can be difficult to photograph, particularly on older proof coins. If this coin is from the seller that I think it is, the odds are favorable that it is a problem piece and has been photographed with misleading photography techniques. PM is forthcoming.

It has been my experience that if the piece has enough cameo contrast to get that designation on an NGC or PCGS holder, it will be easy to show it in a photograph.

I think I know what you mean about this piece. In hand you can see some cameo contrast, but it is not enough to rate the cameo designation. A fair number of 19th century Proof coins show this because the mintages were low, in the hundreds, not the millions. As a result he contrast from the dies lasted over a larger percentage of the mintage.

Well it looks like it would grade high but that could be really deceiving as well. I see clear die marks on the mirror finish and comparison to other pictures of grades it was like they once just handed out 65 and 66's .....

I think the picture I included on this response was a 66+ or 67...?????

138392.jpg.784ea0377a0c5dc75475541e8a1bc209.jpg

138393.jpg.efc5a681e28e03945c33fd6044be9582.jpg

If that's a Great Southern Coin piece then run away from it. If it's worth slabbing great Southern coin would have slabbed it and would be selling it as such.

It has been my experience that if the piece has enough cameo contrast to get that designation on an NGC or PCGS holder, it will be easy to show it in a photograph.

What I meant is that the average photographer (smaller dealers included) on eBay does a poor job of showing cameo contrasts. I have seen coins on eBay that were also available at coin shows, and the contrasts were not nearly as visible in the photographs, at times, because of the technique used. I have seen the reverse happen occasionally as well.

If that's a Great Southern Coin piece then run away from it. If it's worth slabbing great Southern coin would have slabbed it and would be selling it as such.

Maybe true. I went back through my past purchases and thought I had bought from them before. I was going to see how many, if any, ended up being problem coins. I can't find one single transaction between us.

"A fool and his money do soon part" - However eBay made sure that the fool can be reunited with their money. At least I have that to fall back on. This is one that if it does not meet the claims to a 'T' then I am returning. No if's, and's, or but's on this one now that I have had a couple of cautious concerns with this company.

Thanks for the info.

Well the coin made it the homestead and I have to say I see what y'all mean by steering clear of Southern Coin.

Not only does this thing have no contrast between the device and fields I studied it closely and discovered that right there in front of the nose and to the northwest there are a series of scratches as if someone had taken something and scratched away a problem on the coin.

I have already initiated the refund process and was greatly disappointed. I would really have liked to have a nice example such as the picture they manipulated. I guess I will just have to search some of the places such as Dave Lawrence and such for a nice example in slab already but to be honest I think I would be priced out so I doubt that will happen either.

Patience Patience. Patience.

I know that is the key to getting something you want for a price you can afford.

Thanks for all the advice and info on Southern Coins. I guess it will be sold at a later time to some other sucker and hopefully that unknown person studies the coin as well or they will have a DOA slab.

+1 The second I saw that Photo I thought this was GSC coin .

Well the coin made it the homestead and I have to say I see what y'all mean by steering clear of Southern Coin.

Not only does this thing have no contrast between the device and fields I studied it closely and discovered that right there in front of the nose and to the northwest there are a series of scratches as if someone had taken something and scratched away a problem on the coin.

I have already initiated the refund process and was greatly disappointed. I would really have liked to have a nice example such as the picture they manipulated. I guess I will just have to search some of the places such as Dave Lawrence and such for a nice example in slab already but to be honest I think I would be priced out so I doubt that will happen either.

Patience Patience. Patience.

I know that is the key to getting something you want for a price you can afford.

Thanks for all the advice and info on Southern Coins. I guess it will be sold at a later time to some other sucker and hopefully that unknown person studies the coin as well or they will have a DOA slab.

Do yourself a favor - don't buy Raw coins on Ebay .

GSC is one of the worst when it comes to manipulating their pictures.

They sell mostly problem coins .

I deal with them a great deal actually.

By the way...I put that coin in the mail today and I am being refunded not only the original purchase price but also shipping. At least they honor their refund policy.... well I hope they do anyway.

I buy Morgans but I don't really know why other than the fact that I re sell them. Don't really care for that series of coin for some reason.

I get that refund and then put about $500.00 with it and I should have enough to get a nice coin in slab. Well $830.00 would be a good start anyway.

Based on your posts considering the quality of the coin, I would leave negative feedback to warn others.

Believe me I have no problems leaving neutral or negative when it is deserved but my primary concern at this moment is to get the refund. After that then I will have that decision to make.

+1

+1!!

Such a great percentage of their coins are problem coins. Their photography is very misleading and they juice up their pics to a level where you can't even tell anything from them.

Of course they offer a refund for all their coins, 1 out of 10 actually sends a coin back, and the other 9 are screwed and bring them enough profit for it to be worth it for them.

Yes it was and I sent it back the next day. There were actually a patch of scratches in front of the bust on the Obverse that the pictures show no indication of of-course. As far as cameo goes, I think it would have made Cameo but not UC if it were not for the obvious scratch patch in the front.

But it did not look as good as that picture suggests that is for sure. I don't even bother looking at their listings anymore. I just breeze on past.

50%-50%. Based on the pic's could go either way. Try NGC as their a little more lenient.

Both services have had their lenient periods. As we speak, NGC is in a very tight stage and is just as strict if not more strict than PCGS. In fact, since the advent of CAC, BOTH services have tightened up their standards considerably in my opinion.