• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

White Spots on the 2013 White Mountain 5 Ounce SP coin

7 posts in this topic

• Administrator

NGC graders report that a high percentage of the recently released 2013 White Mountain 5 Ounce Specimen coins exhibit white spots that can negatively affect both grade and eye appeal. In many cases, however, NCS – our affiliated professional conservation company – can significantly improve the appearance of these coins. Below are images of a 2013 White Mountain 5 Ounce SP before and after NCS conservation. To learn more about NCS, please visit www.NCScoin.com.

Before-After_web.jpg

Obviously, this is a feature -- snow on the White Moountains.

(It ight also be too much "Simple Green 7" in the rinse.)

Yup... I just got mine in the mail yesterday. Opened it up, saw actually a white streak across the obverse, put it back in it's box and sent it back to the mint for replacement....

Yup... I just got mine in the mail yesterday. Opened it up, saw actually a white streak across the obverse, put it back in it's box and sent it back to the mint for replacement....

Any bets that they just put it back in inventory and then sell it to another collector?

Ok, so I am admitting my addiction here (the first step in getting help, right?), but I get subscription sets from the mint of the ATB quarters, silver proof sets, proof ASE's, and now the 5 oz ATB hockey pucks. I have seen A LOT of milk spots on the ATB quarters.. I ended up sending on set back 3 times and finally gave up trying to get a decent set. I won't be so accommodating on the 5 oz coins though.... too much money invested to get stuck with spotty products. I just happened to be in Denver last month on business and toured the Denver mint while there. The tour was 45 minutes long and I could have spent an hour and a half at least just taking in all the information, but they have a reservation system, deadlines, and they hustle you through pretty fast even if you don't want to be hustled. While on the tour, one of the guides at least was talking like a collector and so I asked about all the problems I had seen with the milk spots... Of course the reply was a furrowed brow and something to the effect of "that's weird" with an assurance that I should send back any product that I don't deem acceptable.... Which is all fine and swell, until you start stacking on postage for each revolving door episode of product going back and forth between me and the mint.... It makes me wonder if the mint is in collusion with the USPS to try and increase the bottom line of the USPS hm

Try requesting your postage be returned. They used to do that when it was requested. At one point they said they were discontinuing that, but I have seen reports of postage reimbursement since that time.