• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pictures and an Update by Iowa Silver Baron Bammer

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

semi retired, but need to find insurance, but I bought a trade dollar and working on my pictures

Hi all,

A lot has happened to me since I posted a journal. Some good news is my basement is fixed!!! Bad news is I still have to move dirt so it can settle before I pour any concrete and do the finishing work. Right now, the only way into my house is through the big garage door, but in a day or two, should be able (if I have to) get in through the porch I had remodeled.

I semi retired myself from Hy-Vee. It was time, the pace was getting on my nerves, I was getting flustered easily, and of course I heard about it; among other things. So they let me semi retired, since I am past 59 and a half years old, I can tap into my 401K until I find a job to afford insurance for 5 years. Oh well, I keep plugging away.

Now on to coin news. I bid on an 1875 CC Trade Dollar in the Teletrade auction last Sunday. It's graded EF 45, still a nice coin as the E in E Pluribus Unum is readable. With buyer's fees and shipping, you might as well say I paid FMV, maybe a little under. It all depends on how one figures the in between grade of 45. Numismedia has a value of $600 for EX 40 and $750 for AU 50. I split in half and assumed an EX45 would be around $675. I think the total was about $660.

I have been reading the posts from The Artist's Collection, so thought I would add one of my best pics to this journal entry. The coin is a So-Called Dollar, it is HK526, from 1958, and is commemorating Teddy Roosevelt. I have a Pentax DSLR with a 100mm macro lens. I only used one light, a fluorescent lamp which was given to me 40 odd years ago as a HS graduation gift from my grandparents. Of course I set my white balance adjustment for the lamp, and I do have my camera mounted on a VERY sturdy copy stand. This setup does quite well actually, but there is an outfit I am going to get from the internet that consists of a smaller copy stand to smaller light fixtures and the funky corkscrew lights, plus a tent to put around the coin which will soften the lights.

But, until I have money for it, I think my setup works well enough. I am happy with most of the results.

13741.jpg

See more journals by Iowa Silver Baron Bammer

Iowa Silver Baron,

I'm excited to see your images of your new Trade Dollar. I have been looking for one for my type set for a long while, and have yet to find anything that catches my eye.

Regarding the So-called Dollar with Teddy Roosevelt, I really like that design. I hadn't see this design for sale anywhere for a couple years, and in the past 6 months I have seen 4-5 sell all at pretty reasonable prices. My example (purchased earlier this year) is below. It's a nice looking medal and I'm glad to see another collector post one! (thumbs u

1958_SCD_TeddyRoosevelt_NGC_MS66_HK526_composite_zps15d11148.jpg