• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

96-s. Got a lot to Send in.

28 posts in this topic

So here is another one. This one has solid strike. I've always found 96s to be slightly below average strikes but of course not nearly as weak as the NO of that year.

I have a ton of coins about to send in. If only PCGS was like the Bellagio and reward you once you have give them so much money.

138250.jpg.2323a524c205147303fffd2915b7037c.jpg

If you have a lot of coins to send in I would strongly advise you to get with a reputable dealer that is in good with NGC and PCGS and come to an arrangement as to a bulk submission through them.

They are able to submit bulk at a much lower rate than just a regular member can. That is my understanding anyway and actually I am trying to touch base with a Dealer I do business with and see if what I have is even worth submitting in bulk. I was hoping to arrange to just send him all the coins, culled of-course with the best presentations identified and the remaining for him to look at if he felt so inclined.

We keep playing phone tag though but maybe after the holiday I will touch base with him. You should maybe try the same type of thing.

This coin has to go in for authentication. It is a conditional rarity in all MS grades and that coin looks MS for sure. I'd guess MS62 with the cheek marks and carbon spots but could go 63 if it possess original mint bloom.

If your coin is genuine, it is a $2,000 coin easily.

Send the coin to NCS first to see if they can remove the spots. Then send it in for grading. I am optimistic for you. I would probably call the coin MS62, but wouldn't be surprised to see it knocked down to MS61 because (1) the TPGs are very tough on this date and a couple handfuls of other dates/mint marks and (2) the spotting will result in a netgrade.

Edited to add: I stick by my original post, but upon further reflection, I thought I would emphasize that if those are carbon spots (which they appear to be), it might not come off. Depending on how picky the services are, they may or may not bag it. Very recently, I have noticed that both NGC and PCGS are bagging coins (or putting them in details slabs) for issues that once were considered market acceptable and gradeable. Just be prepared.

I am always nervous sending to NCS. PCGS in particular has become very fickle recently as you noted.

I did the newspaper test and get 3 or so inches which should put it PL right? Would be nice. I think 62 personally

I'll slow post some of these coins I'm about to send in this week. Here is an 84-s that (in my opinion) an ugly looking thing. Never quite seen a coin like this:

138254.jpg.9d483a02fd22cb6385f622e6ce2082d8.jpg

138255.jpg.79850c8cf9d71d4db4e8b5451925bc0c.jpg

It is hard to grade the first 1884-S from a photo because of the toning. I'd say that there is probably an AU coin hiding under all of that.

The second one is definitely an AU. It has wear in the fields which dulls them, and some flattening on the eagle's breast.

AU is a very typical grade for the 1884-S. For some reason very few were preserved as strict Mint State pieces although there are many AUs.

You think that second one gets to au58?? Idk maybe. I am not sure it has the fields to get it there

If it grades a straight grade, 55 looks about right but stranger things have happened. PCGS probably would't put it in a 58 holder. NGC, maybe only because they are a tad more tolerant (in my opinion) of luster disturbances in the field in AU grades. I would only submit the 96s.

I pretty much submit everything I have. Like to have them in slab.

I don't do NGC but they are much nicer and think difference has grown between PCGS and NGC. I don't know if NGC has gotten more tolerant of stuff or if PCGS has just gotten more hard. (I 'd usually say the latter)

I pretty much submit everything I have. Like to have them in slab.

I don't do NGC but they are much nicer and think difference has grown between PCGS and NGC. I don't know if NGC has gotten more tolerant of stuff or if PCGS has just gotten more hard. (I 'd usually say the latter)

Because you're new, I want to clarify my last post. It isn't that PCGS is better or that NGC is nicer per se; rather they view luster disturbances from wear at this level differently. I have seen coins from both services that wouldn't cross to the other service and vice versa.

I've always thought NGC was not as hard as PCGS-especially with Morgans. When I started I used to buy only already slabbed and then like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person I started converting everything to PCGS and PCGS was noticeably harder. Maybe when PCGS gets a NGC they are biased towards it but I think every single NGC came back from PCGs 1-2 notches lower.

I've always thought NGC was not as hard as PCGS-especially with Morgans. When I started I used to buy only already slabbed and then like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person I started converting everything to PCGS and PCGS was noticeably harder. Maybe when PCGS gets a NGC they are biased towards it but I think every single NGC came back from PCGs 1-2 notches lower.

It cuts the other way too. I have seen PCGS bump a coin up for exceptional toning two grades, only to come back a grade or two lower (I can't remember which) from NGC with a star.

I guess I have relatively low history to go by. I hear good stuff about ANACS a lot but I've bought one coin slabbed by them. It was a MS66 Buffalo and PCGS gave it 62. I called a dealer and was pretty pissed off and he said something to the effect of PCGS gives a lot more credence to the horn while ANACS has put a lot less importance if it was a full horn as many where never struck with a full horn to begin with.

4 grade drop is pretty insane though. I do no think that should ever, ever happen.

physics-it is not always about money but I can say that 96s is no shape way or form worth 300. I don't sell but my local dealer offered $850 for it and he is a scum bag.

If you have coins like that 96s you want to sell for $300 then message me and I'll buy them

I see absolutely no reason to send any of those coins in. The 96S is the most valuable at maybe $300, but even then it is not worth it.

I think you are confusing the 1896-S with the 1896-O. The 1896-S is a $800-$1,000 coin in AU, and worth much more in mint state grades. I disagree with your assertion that it isn't worth sending in. Even if it comes back UNC Details, it would still be worth it in my opinion.

I see absolutely no reason to send any of those coins in. The 96S is the most valuable at maybe $300, but even then it is not worth it.

I think you are confusing the 1896-S with the 1896-O. The 1896-S is a $800-$1,000 coin in AU, and worth much more in mint state grades. I disagree with your assertion that it isn't worth sending in. Even if it comes back UNC Details, it would still be worth it in my opinion.

Oops, you are correct. I looked at the wrong line in the price guide. Sorry guys.

I too think the 96-S has UNC details to it, and I think if sent to NCS first it has good chances to make it into a problem free holder.

Of the 1884-S dollars, if you HAVE to send to grading, send the second one only. The first one would be a waste of grading fees.