• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1851 braided hair for sale on ebay

23 posts in this topic

I thought so too Justin. price seems low for a coin that looks MS 65 ish?? Wonder if there would be any problem with having it graded??

This coin looks to have been cleaned and recolored. There also appears to be some verdigris or PVC on both the obverse and reverse.

It depends on whether or not it would get a RD or RB designation. The seller says he thinks it is more RB than RD. I wouldn't see a problem in having it graded either and I think it would slab. From the pictures provided, I don't see anything that jumps out and screams "Hey, look at me! I'm a scratch or surface impairment!'. But that's to be seen once the coin is in hand. I didn't notice whether or not the seller had a return policy, but if he does, I'd say go for it as long as the price doesn't get too ridiculously high.

I took a closer look at this coin - At best this coin would have a technical grade of no better than Ms 63 - however I think it is an Au 58 . Either way I feel strongly that the coin has been cleaned and re colored. I would not purchase this coin .

I also did not notice it until MarkT mentioned it. I'm glad someone who is more experienced spoke up and educated us both!

Mark, what leads you to believe the coin has been cleaned and recolored?

it was hard for me to believe that it could look that red in color. If it was raw and not in an airtight environment it seems like it would have toned over the years. Looks like coin sold for $233.

Somebody got hosed on that one. The piece is a cleaned, stripped, and wiped AU. It may be worth $100 on a good day, if you can find a sucker. I really hope nobody here bought it (or can return it if they did).

Mark, what leads you to believe the coin has been cleaned and recolored?

It has not been recolored, that's how I know it has been mistreated. First the easy parts - there is a trace of wear on her cheekbone, which leads to the AU grade. Notice in the fields how there is a halo effect around the stars - that leads me to think either cleaning or circulation. Based on the unnaturally pinkish color, and the remaining gunk in the crevices, I'm led to believe it has been cleaned.

It wasn't me. I just sat back and watched and wondered just how high it would go. Went to about where I figured.

I noticed the residue around the stars but I did not detect the wear on the cheek that you say is present. Actually I would expect to see signs of wear in the hair around the ears since it is higher relief before I would see wear on the cheek.

The hair looked good to me, however, Mark had brought up the possibility of verdigris and I see exactly what he was talking about even before he mentioned it. I thought that it was the way the lighting was positioned during photography since it only seemed to be effecting that right side edges and not the left.

But either way it was exciting to watch the clock count down knowing I had no dog in that race. :grin:

This coin looks to have been cleaned and recolored. There also appears to be some verdigris or PVC on both the obverse and reverse.

This. The surfaces look like they have been completely stripped. There is no original luster, and no original copper coin will look like that.

As a matter of safety, I recommend against buying raw copper especially over the internet. Frankly, there is so much that it is done and can be done with copper coins, that I would not buy an expensive raw copper coin.

Jason - I think it has been recolored or at least someone tried to re color it.

I agree. Freshly stripped copper is usually pink (and more so than this coin). It looks like someone tried to tone it some to cover up the stripped surfaces. I agree with Mark here. I think it has been cleaned and someone has attempted to recolor it too (and obviously failed).

That coin has been cleaned and is now worth of fraction of its value before someone messed with it.

For reference here is what an original high grade piece should look like. This one is graded MS-65, R&B with a CAC sticker.

1856CentO.jpg1856CentR.jpg

Bill that is a fantastic example - one which is very close to full red . If this was a guess the grade I would have guessed RD.

Bill that is a fantastic example - one which is very close to full red . If this was a guess the grade I would have guessed RD.

Thank you! :acclaim:

The R&B on that one is one example of why it's hard to get "red" from me here in the "can you spare a grade" area.

Bill has many awesome looking coins in his collection. Every time a pic of a questionable coin comes up he shows a pic of an amazing example he has!

Me too. I still think it (Mr. Jones's coin) would sell for the red price or at least close to it.