• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1857 Half Dime - Grade Revealed

14 posts in this topic

Newps in a last generation NGC problem-free holder. Grades and comments welcome.

NGC MS63 The coin has some strike weakness that could be perceived as wear and the luster is subdued under nice toning. I posted a couple of my images on page 2. Thank you for the grades and comments!

1857H10Cslab_zps02ba10ac.png

1857H10Cobv_zps22ebe4f0.jpg1857H10Crev_zps83cb8de5.jpg

I would grade this AU-58 because I think I see some wear on Ms. Liberty's knee and some flatness in the wreath. But if I'm just seeing things, this coin could grade as high as MS-63.

It is a nice original piece, and it is unusual to see a coin like this that has not been dipped. Too often nice original coins with type of a color end up getting "a bath" to make them more saleable.

whats going on with the word dime, just below the me on it. maybe its my eyes or something

ditto

clash mark. In this grade that is not important. If you are looking at MS-67 or above, the knit pickers can get started. :makepoint:

I would grade this AU-58 because I think I see some wear on Ms. Liberty's knee and some flatness in the wreath. But if I'm just seeing things, this coin could grade as high as MS-63.

It is a nice original piece, and it is unusual to see a coin like this that has not been dipped. Too often nice original coins with type of a color end up getting "a bath" to make them more saleable.

This.

NGC MS63 The coin has some strike weakness that could be perceived as wear and the luster is subdued under nice toning.

That is not a very good reason to lower the grade when it specifically states in the Grading Standards that "pieces dated 1856 through 1858 are usually weak at the central drapery and head".

They state that as guidance to take into consideration when assigning a grade. What good is Grading Standards if there is going to be no 'Standard'? What are they doing? Writing their own book at our expense?

I guess they need to let us know where to find these new grading guidelines so we can at least have a clue as to what to expect.

Using the logic that you stated as an excuse for sorry grading practices one could have a MS70 and the only deficiencies in the coin being that the strike is not as solid and bold as a 1855 yet it is exactly as it came from the mint. Using this standard they would drop it to a 69 with complete disregard as to the actual limitations at time of minting.

BS if you ask me.... (shrug)

That is not a very good reason to lower the grade when it specifically states in the Grading Standards that "pieces dated 1856 through 1858 are usually weak at the central drapery and head".

They state that as guidance to take into consideration when assigning a grade. What good is Grading Standards if there is going to be no 'Standard'? What are they doing? Writing their own book at our expense?

I guess they need to let us know where to find these new grading guidelines so we can at least have a clue as to what to expect.

Using the logic that you stated as an excuse for sorry grading practices one could have a MS70 and the only deficiencies in the coin being that the strike is not as solid and bold as a 1855 yet it is exactly as it came from the mint. Using this standard they would drop it to a 69 with complete disregard as to the actual limitations at time of minting.

BS if you ask me.... (shrug)

I think there is a misunderstanding. Several posts noted a light rub here or there and assigned an AU58 grade because of them. I was saying that a light strike was the cause, not actual rubs. The MS63 grade is very fair. The coin was not "net-graded" for a weak strike at all.

Hope this helps.