• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ICG Grading

16 posts in this topic

Guest Golddog3

How does ICG grading stack up when compared to similar grades for gold US gold coins (1800s) to NGC? I am considering crossing a coin over to NGC? Lower? about the same? Higher?

I have seen some ICG graded coins that were as nice as their NGC and PCGS counterparts, but on average their standards are not as high. You must judge crossovers on a case by case basis. There no hard and fast rules.

NGC only accepts crossovers from PCGS, anything else has to be cracked out and submitted as a raw coin either by the owner or he has to give NCg permission to crack it out of the slab.

I understand what you are probably asking is "What are the chances that NGC will assign the same grade to the coin that ICG did?" That is a question impossible to answer without seeing the coin. And while pictures can help there is no substitute for actual in hand examination. No picture can allow a proper examination for fine judgments.

ICG coins sometimes cross higher, sometimes lower, sometimes the same, and sometimes not at all. They are wildly inconsistent, and we would have to see the coin to give you a better idea of your chances.

How does ICG grading stack up when compared to similar grades for gold US gold coins (1800s) to NGC? I am considering crossing a coin over to NGC? Lower? about the same? Higher?

Their grading is fine. NGC, I'm going to say you're going to get the same grade, don't even have to see the grade or coin to say that.

Sse example - AU55

Whoa! Nice piece! Really needs to be cracked because so much of the rims are obscured. It has AU detail for sure with a few hairlines. I'd try it after cracking it out.

The problem with ICG I would imagine is what you see left in their holders. Why? Because if they DO correctly grade a coin how long do you think it takes from someone to crack it out and send it to NGC or PCGS? Once the coin is out of the ICG you will never know they correctly graded the coin, right? What is left out there are the mistakes for the most part.

This coin I bought off eBay in an ICG MS68FB holder..I cracked it and sent it to PCGS a few years later where it came back at the same grade (ONE submission).

10c-39d_zps85612f01.jpg

The trick here is that I didn't pay nearly the price that a PCGS coin would bring. I figured that it was at least a MS67 and paid that price. So does the grade matter really...or the PRICE you pay?

jom

So does the grade matter really...or the PRICE you pay?

jom

They are the same thing, synonomous, and so closely tied as to be indistinguishable. Market grading is valuing a coin. The market just doesn't always agree with the value ICG says a coin is worth.

So does the grade matter really...or the PRICE you pay?

jom

They are the same thing, synonomous, and so closely tied as to be indistinguishable. Market grading is valuing a coin. The market just doesn't always agree with the value ICG says a coin is worth.

That isn't really true. I can't count how many times I've seen similarly graded coins go for wildly different prices...at all levels. Prices follow quality...not necessarily grade.

Whatever the case, ICG (nor any other new TPG) simply can't get a foothold in this market...for the reasons I stated earlier. That's why CAC, for example, went a different route I imagine...or at least one of their reasons.

jom

Btw, ICG slabs of the older kind, with the barcode on the front, carry grades that are a little closer to reality. Of course each coin has to be examined on its own, but chances are most of the new ICG's won't cross at same grade if at all.

The problem with ICG I would imagine is what you see left in their holders. Why? Because if they DO correctly grade a coin how long do you think it takes from someone to crack it out and send it to NGC or PCGS? Once the coin is out of the ICG you will never know they correctly graded the coin, right? What is left out there are the mistakes for the most part.

This coin I bought off eBay in an ICG MS68FB holder..I cracked it and sent it to PCGS a few years later where it came back at the same grade (ONE submission).

10c-39d_zps85612f01.jpg

The trick here is that I didn't pay nearly the price that a PCGS coin would bring. I figured that it was at least a MS67 and paid that price. So does the grade matter really...or the PRICE you pay?

jom

Neither. The plastic and the sticker you pay for. And that's a good point you made on ICG grading.

On an individual basis, of course one coin or another from ICG will get the same grade from NGC. However, overall, we have a very poor success rate in that regard.

Incidentally, the subject dollar may have a repair in the lower obverse right field.