• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Coin of the Day 1867 Seated Liberty Quarter- NGC vs PCGS value posted by hunter's gold

12 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

All I can say is WOW, someone really wanted that quarter

NGC featured coin of the day on their Face Book page is an 1867 Seated Liberty quarter. I was looking through some auction records for this coin and came across something taht made me go WOW. There is a NGC MS63 example of this coin that sold back in 2005 for $3220. Current value for this coin is $12,060 with a population of 2. In 2008 a PCGS MS63 example sold for $86,250. Current PCGS value is $9000 with a population of 4. All I can say is WOW someone really must have wanted that PCGS example too pay over 9 times it's list value. I am not sure if I could ever justify that on any coin that I might ever want to buy. What do you all think, would you?

13602.jpg

See more journals by hunter's gold

I could see paying a small premium for something you like.But nine times over listed value,there is just no way,at least not for me

Jason

My theory is if you see a coin with a pop of one or two at that specific grade with few higher AND the chances of the coins' pop not moving upward which is probably the case with this beauty, the price guide is just that: A guide

As you reach out for high value rare coins one can expect to go over book. I will admit your example is a bit extreme, but it happens.

A good example are graded ASE's. Just my opinion.

I have paid over list for some coins. My 1983DDR MS68RD Lincoln is an example. I paid over list for this coin. Even though it was over a $1000 over list it still did not even come close too being double let alone 9 times. The few Lincolns I am still looking for are going to be pricey but I would not ever pay that kind of money over list value unless I had money to burn

And of course the opposite can occur when an MS65 lists for $10K but the coin is a doggy and it sells for $4K. Of course some call that a bargain.

An auction result of $86,250 means there were at least two collectors that wanted it at $80k+ (minimum bid increments vary by auction type).. As others mentioned above, the guides are just guides, but I can't imagine a situation where I would go that far above list for a coin.

That's pretty good Hunter's Gold. The biggest auction bargain that I can find in searching my own purchases is a $15K list coin I got for $12.5K (full cost including auction fee and dealer representation). Thats about 17% off and I think the coin is PQ, but I really wont know until the time comes to sell, and even then the buy-sell market conditions would have to be considered in my analysis.

Good comments by all on this thread.

Happy collecting,

Rich

No way would I pay 9 times fmv for any coin. I have and will pay over the full market value of a coin to complete a set but never ever 9 times fmv sound like this person has an unlimited coin budget unlike myself who has to watch where ever cent go's and here lately Ngc is getting the lions share of my coin money.

Happy collecting and may God Bless...Mike