• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saving NGC Hologram

28 posts in this topic

Is there a way to save the NGC hologram when pulling off a Heritage sticker? Hologram was 95% intact on an old holder and little left after I pulled off the Heritage sticker. Thanks.

I had the very same problem on a older style NGC holder from this last Heritage auction. I wrote Heritage an email expressing my frustration as part of the reason I purchased the coin was the holder. Now I suspect my only option if I want the hologram is to have a new holder. I suggested Heritage find a better place to attach the sticker. It might help if you wrote Heritage also and expressed your feelings.

I think it is unfortunate that they destroy the hologram since many of the older holders are considered collectibles in their own right. With this said, I do not think that it will hurt the value of the coin as many of the older holders have missing holograms. To me personally, it wouldn't justify the cost of reholdering just for the hologram.

I think it is unfortunate that they destroy the hologram since many of the older holders are considered collectibles in their own right. With this said, I do not think that it will hurt the value of the coin as many of the older holders have missing holograms. To me personally, it wouldn't justify the cost of reholdering just for the hologram.

+1

I don't know if there is a practical/workable solution, which will serve to save the holograms AND still allow for stickers to be placed where needed, for security and other purposes.

However, I will check on this. And if I learn of anything worth reporting, will post it here.

Put some Googone on the label and let it soak for a few hours to soften the glue. The label should come off easily and the Googone won't hurt the hologram. Mineral oil may also work.

I don't know if there is a practical/workable solution, which will serve to save the holograms AND still allow for stickers to be placed where needed, for security and other purposes.

However, I will check on this. And if I learn of anything worth reporting, will post it here.

One solution would be for Heritage to move to a sticker that uses an adhesive that is more similar to that used on post-it notes. Though, finding such a label may be easier said than done. Just a thought.

Put some Googone on the label and let it soak for a few hours to soften the glue. The label should come off easily and the Googone won't hurt the hologram. Mineral oil may also work.

I suspected that would do the job, but had not tried it.

One solution would be for Heritage to move to a sticker that uses an adhesive that is more similar to that used on post-it notes. Though, finding such a label may be easier said than done. Just a thought.

These types of stickers are readily available in the marketplace. I use them to label my NGC slab holders. They can be removed easily without leaving any residue and they stick well.

These types of stickers are readily available in the marketplace. I use them to label my NGC slab holders. They can be removed easily without leaving any residue and they stick well.

Unfortunately, those stickers might not be adequate for purposes of security, lot viewing and tracking of the coins.

+1 and agreed with

For the old holders only, would zip lock bags be a solution? The slabs could easily be placed in and out them, and the label could be affixed to the zip lock bag. The only auction house that I know that has addressed this particular issue is Great Collections, and in many cases, they do not affix a label at all on the old NGC slabs. I realize, however, that this may not be feasible with Heritage when you have, among other things, public viewing sessions.

Also, I don't know how Heritage would feel, but this software looks fairly neat. http://www.e-bizsoft.com/products/numismatics-inventory-manager/. It allows you to scan the barcodes already on PCGS and NGC slabs. For other coins, you can then create and print traditional custom made barcodes (or at least that is my understanding).

Edited to add: Even if Heritage is opposed to a completely new software package, at one time, at least one TPG (ANACS) publicly posted Visual Basic Code that would allow for the scanning of their barcodes. I wonder if PCGS and NGC would release similar coding (or Heritage could have its computer programs) generate coding that would accomplish the same effect within existing software and using existing equipment.

Unfortunately, those stickers might not be adequate for purposes of security, lot viewing and tracking of the coins.

Agree with that. They seem to hold up well for me, but with the amount of handling they will see at auction houses or other retail outlets, the sticker might not hold up.

...just wondering but why couldn't these holograms be attached to the inside of the slabs? (shrug) surely somebody their could figure a way to achieve this. :popcorn:

...just wondering but why couldn't these holograms be attached to the inside of the slabs? (shrug) surely somebody their could figure a way to achieve this. :popcorn:

NGC has moved the hologram inside; however, the older holders have it externally. There is no way to move this inside without compromising the integrity of the slab.

NGC has moved the hologram inside; however, the older holders have it externally. There is no way to move this inside without compromising the integrity of the slab.

Not to split hairs, but on new NGC holders, the hologram is neither affixed inside nor outside of the holder plastic. It's actually embedded within the plastic. Obviously though, this is an irrelevant solution for saving hologram stickers on old NGC holders -- which is what this entire thread is addressing.

For the old holders only, would zip lock bags be a solution? The slabs could easily be placed in and out them, and the label could be affixed to the zip lock bag. The only auction house that I know that has addressed this particular issue is Great Collections, and in many cases, they do not affix a label at all on the old NGC slabs. I realize, however, that this may not be feasible with Heritage when you have, among other things, public viewing sessions.

Also, I don't know how Heritage would feel, but this software looks fairly neat. http://www.e-bizsoft.com/products/numismatics-inventory-manager/. It allows you to scan the barcodes already on PCGS and NGC slabs. For other coins, you can then create and print traditional custom made barcodes (or at least that is my understanding).

Edited to add: Even if Heritage is opposed to a completely new software package, at one time, at least one TPG (ANACS) publicly posted Visual Basic Code that would allow for the scanning of their barcodes. I wonder if PCGS and NGC would release similar coding (or Heritage could have its computer programs) generate coding that would accomplish the same effect within existing software and using existing equipment.

I have had a number of holograms ruined by Heritage stickers. I have also had a number of slabs where Heritage purposefully used tape on the edge of the slab to hold their sticker on, without damaging an old hologram. It seems to be hit or miss.

My most recent Heritage lots had stickers over the hologram, as usual, but for the first time, they added scotch tape over the stickers. I suspected this was to help prevent tampering or pealing. I guess you would know the answer.

Yep. And to help the situation even more, after it has GooGone'd for awhile, you can power-steam the label right off if you happen to have a steamer.

everybody i think has wd-40 if you put that on carefully the label peels off/lifts off simply and saves the hologram

just then wipe carefully with some sudsy water on a paper towel good as new

everybody i think has wd-40 if you put that on carefully the label peels off/lifts off simply and saves the hologram

just then wipe carefully with some sudsy water on a paper towel good as new

+1 and mineral oil works as well from personal experience. Put a few drops of oil on the label, let it soak for awhile and finish off as michael says with a little soap and water. Hologram saved and you have a cleaner slab. :whee:

Carl

+1 and mineral oil works as well from personal experience. Put a few drops of oil on the label, let it soak for awhile and finish off as michael says with a little soap and water. Hologram saved and you have a cleaner slab.

No need for soap and water... Just wipe off all the excess mineral oil which will remove all the glue residue. To fully degrease just a shot of blue Windex type glass cleaner on a paper towel will do the trick.

I stopped reading all the comments half way down becasue I am only half awake at the moment. One thing you could use is a hairdryer. Heat the label up a little and it is much easier to remove.

...I get this image in my head when reading about the stickers all over the slabs:

luggage.jpg

...sorta like dealers blowin' their own horn of where the slab has been. :whistle: