• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1855-S Seated Liberty Quarter

11 posts in this topic

You might want to think about not collecting coins that you think are technically graded! lol

Well, you know the eye appeal is lacking, you know it's cleaned, you know it's scratched.... I think it's still a VF though, but I wouldn't pay that money for it.

I'm in agreement with you on all counts.

However, this issue is nearly impossible to find problem-free (similar to the 1855-S Half Dollar) so many collectors actually DO pay VF money for problem coins like this.

Technically, is the coin closer to VF-20 or VF-35?

I have one very similar to this one. I showed it to my LCS guy and I think he offered me 40 for it. This was a couple years ago.

I have one very similar to this one. I showed it to my LCS guy and I think he offered me 40 for it. This was a couple years ago.

What is the technical grade for yours?

by the time I got home it was dark outside and when I tried to do a pic indoors it did not go very well. Will try to get a better one tomorrow. On looking at my coin again it is also cleaned and scratched with dark areas on both sides of coin. The rims of my coin are somewhat better but thats about it. Jerry

here is those pics I promised. After looking at this coin again it is pretty rough looking on obverse. More beat up looking than your coin. 004_zps6f5987b8.jpg 003_zps82b3f7af.jpg

I'm in agreement with you on all counts.

However, this issue is nearly impossible to find problem-free (similar to the 1855-S Half Dollar) so many collectors actually DO pay VF money for problem coins like this.

Technically, is the coin closer to VF-20 or VF-35?

I'd say the sharpness grade is VF-30, but it loses 10 to 15 points because of environmental damage.