• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

new American eagle set posted by wmfielding

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

do you think its fair?

Hello fellow collectors,

I have a question for you all. NGC is offering the retro black slabs for the new American Eagle coins to BULK submissions only which is 50 sets or more. I believe that the black slabed coins will demand a higher price in the future than the white ones will. As an elite member I think than the option of the black slabs should be offered to all members no matter how many sets they submit until the slabs they have on hand are gone. So tell me please am I wrong in thinking this way?

Happy collecting and may God Bless...Mike

See more journals by wmfielding

It is not fair, but who determines what is fair.

I feel the whole black slab thing was created to fuel certain people's need to have the same coin in every possible iteration of slabs. There are more and more of those collectors every day. The coin vault guys are helping that notion. :banana:

I agree; as a silver eagle collector I have already seen ads showing higher prices for the black inserts and I refuse to purchase them. I realize that NGC derives most of their income from large dealers, but they should remember who is their ultimate customer. Any member should be able to purchase any insert or label that is available to to the big guys.

Well.....at least you US guys get the black holder option in some form. I have quite a few beautiful Ottoman gold and silver coins that would just look EPIC in one of those retro holders :(

I was always taught "Buy the product Not the wrapper", or- Buy the Coin, Not the Holder! The Black Slab was brought back as a nostalgic product, and it's purchase and use is just a matter of the individuals' preference. In the long run, I believe an NGC-70 grade will be valued more than the color of the slab. After all, Which is the most prolific slab out there today? But that's just my opinion.