• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lithuania 1925 1 centas

3 posts in this topic

I have had an original roll of these for a while and sent 8 of the 15 better ones in for grading. I would love opinions on the raw coin. The one in the PCGS slab is there for comparison. I will post it's grade later.

rawlith19251cobv_edit-1_zpse9d49806.jpg

rawlith19251crev_edited-1_zps5165c524.jpg

lith19251crevms66_edited-1_zps797e35f4.jpg

lith19251cobvms66_zps838784a9.jpg

Looks like a 64. The strike is mushy and the luster is weak, but the fields are really clean. If you sent this to PCGS, I wouldn't be surprised by a 66, but their world grading is .

If my memory serves me correctly, that 2nd coin you posted "for comparison" resides in a PCGS MS66 holder, and you purchased it recently on eBay. That being said, I'd say the raw one you posted is just a tick below that.

Now my honest opinion, I think the one you have in a PCGS MS66 holder would grade MS65 at NGC, and the raw one would come in at MS64 or so. While I agree with physics-fan that the strike is mushy -- that's endemic in this issue/date. These simply don't come "hammered". I also think the luster looks weak in the pictures, but I know from the seller's pics of that bottom coin that the luster was strong and full. Thus, the luster weakness is likely a photography limitation, not a coin limitation.

(shrug)