• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Don't miss the million-dollar-coin analysis of Greg Reynolds

8 posts in this topic

I have been recently looking at the Coin Week archives. Of the contributors to that site, Greg Reynolds is in my opinion by far the most objective and balanced in his reporting. Doug Winter has some good articles as well. The rest of the lot, not so much. They are disproportionately "cheer leaders" for any number of mediocre and overvalued or absurdly overvalued coins. Some of the articles I would describe as absolutely awful.

In this particular instance, I agree with the points of Greg's article. However, in looking at the list of million dollar coins which are currently eligible for the PCGS "Million Dollar Club", I think a disproportionate number of them are vastly over hyped and over rated.

Yes, some of them are significant by my standards and presumably by the standards of US collectors, many more. Those included in my top tier are coins like the 1849 double eagle, J-1776 1907 double eagle, 1822 half eagle and 1804 dollars.

For a disproportionate number of the rest, I do not consider them either that significant or that prominent. And whatever level of prominence they currently have is also substantially due to their current value. In actuality, the most significant thing about them is not their actual or even supposed numismatic merits but their price.

With very few exceptions, it seems like once a coin crosses into the "million dollar" range, it ceases to be a coin, and becomes some sort of bloated, oversized carrot that rabbits with huge egos can't resist.

Aside from the Brasher doubloon and the 1849 double-eagle, I can't really think of one I would care to own.

(But then again, I haven't read the article yet :) ).

It would be nice if there were a small margin on the left side of the Coin Week page.

There are quite a few I like and think highly of, including the two you mentioned. I also like any of the Capped Head half Eagles in both proof or as circulation strikes.

The coins off hand that I consider the most over rated are the 1861 "Pacquet Reverse" double eagle, 1920-S Indian Head Eagle NGC MS-67 and 1907 "normal edge" NGC PR-67 Indian Head Eagle. The two $10 gold last sold for $1.75 MM and $2.185 MM and I believe I read a claim somewhere that the double eagle should be worth $10 MM but if not, it is easily worth at least a few. I do not consider any of these coins significant and all of these prices absurd.

With very few exceptions, it seems like once a coin crosses into the "million dollar" range, it ceases to be a coin, and becomes some sort of bloated, oversized carrot that rabbits with huge egos can't resist.

Aside from the Brasher doubloon and the 1849 double-eagle, I can't really think of one I would care to own.

I am so sorry to hear that you hate the 1822 $5, the 1870-S dollar, THE COIN, any uncirculated 1794 dollar, etc etc. How can anyone claim to be a coin collector and not appreciate such rarities?

I am so sorry to hear that you hate the 1822 $5, the 1870-S dollar, THE COIN, any uncirculated 1794 dollar, etc etc. How can anyone claim to be a coin collector and not appreciate such rarities?

When and how did "hate" enter the conversation??