• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleaning of 1881 Indian Head penney

8 posts in this topic

I was given an 1881 Indian Head penny that looks like it hasn't been properly cared for. It's mottled on both sides with a "greenish" mold-like material. Any suggestions as to how I can clean up this coin would be appreciated.

that greenish stuff is verdegris or corrosion of the copper. You can try soaking it in pure acetone or buy a product called verdicare. This may remove a light surface type corrosion but if its been there awhile you have damage to the coin under the verdegris that can not be repaired. Olive oil can sometimes make the coin look better too.

Once a copper piece has corroded to the extent you describe, there's really no saving it; but fortunately an 1881 cent is exceedingly common, so you should be able to get a much better example.

jwc,

Thanks for the immediate response to my request for help in identifying the cause of my problem. Yes the coin appears to have been in this condition for at least 8 - 10 years according to the previous owner. He inherited the coin along with lots of other stuff from his folks and wasn't a collector so it sat in a closet untouched for years. I'll try acetone but it probably wont expose any thing but a coin in very poor condition. Thanks again.

auricray

Raisethis2

Thanks for that tip. Rubbing would definitely be out of the question. Soaking may just expose how poor the condition of the coin is. I'll try just soaking it to see if any of the stain can be removed. Thanks again.

auricray

originalisbest

Thanks for the response on my 1881 penny problem. I'm glad to hear 1881 cent is a common date. In good condition the Indian Head penny is a beautiful piece of history and I look forward to getting some to keep as I begin to start my collection. Thanks again.

auricray

Acetone wont do anything for that green bluish stuff. I tried many times and it just soaks up the acetone to just reappear. I've used baking soda for the blue stuff on buffalo nickels and it work everytime. I've even sold to dealers after using baking soda and no suspicion is raised. Try it yourself and see on a common date. Just add a little water to some baking soda, and rub it on the coin with a q-tip or use your finger. Maybe the nickel can withstand such treatment better because I've used baking soda on cents and it usually changes the color of the cent so it looks obviously cleaned under inspection. The longer the baking soda is used on the cent, the worse the cleaning will look. It'll most likely get rid of that stuff your talking about, but it will also give that area of the coin a cleaned look. If you do this, try re-toning the coin somehow. I'm not too sure how to do that, but I've tried putting cents in a small paper envelope, then putting it in my sock and walking for hours in my shoes. It turns the coin brown pretty good. You'll see.