• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New collector needs information about online sellers

16 posts in this topic

Been an avid stamp and trade card collector and decided to indulge in coin collecting. I have bought a few coins from U.S. Mint, Gov't Mint, Silver Towne, Mt. Vernon Coin Co. & Universal Coin. I'm basically still learning this new hobby and wish to know from members on this site what online coin selling sites provide solid quality at fair prices with good service. Also if you think the above mentioned sellers are average, good or any other rating.

What type of coins are you interested in? Gold, silver, copper, or nickel? Series? Moderns or classic coins? Certified or raw? Do you seek out the finest known or all gem specimens? Do you have a preference with regards to toning vs. untoned/dipped specimens? What price range(s) are you looking to buy within? This can make a huge difference in who I would refer to you to see.

Been an avid stamp and trade card collector and decided to indulge in coin collecting. I have bought a few coins from U.S. Mint, Gov't Mint, Silver Towne, Mt. Vernon Coin Co. & Universal Coin. I'm basically still learning this new hobby and wish to know from members on this site what online coin selling sites provide solid quality at fair prices with good service. Also if you think the above mentioned sellers are average, good or any other rating.

What kind of coins do you want to buy?

SilverTowne is the only dealer on your list that I would trust (they are great, actually) in buying coins for my collection.

What kind of coins do you want to buy?

SilverTowne is the only dealer on your list that I would trust (they are great, actually) in buying coins for my collection.

Agree about SilverTowne. I would also add buying directly from the U.S. Mint is safe.

It really depends on what types of coins you want to collect.

Mostly interested in Silver coins and prefer dollars. I am basically trying to buy some commeratives also if they inspire my interest. I love the Silver Eagle series that started in 1986. Will probably seek high mint/proof levels of ms69 or ms70 as they are most pure and are great long term investments. I will try a few Morgan & Peace dollars for my collection and will entertain levels of ms63+. Might dabble with some half dollars and eventually some gold coins once i save enough cash. Some Canadian coins are nice too.

Other than Miller's Mint, I would run fast and far from any seller with "Mint" in their name that is not the actual U.S. Mint.

Mostly interested in Silver coins and prefer dollars. I am basically trying to buy some commeratives also if they inspire my interest. I love the Silver Eagle series that started in 1986. Will probably seek high mint/proof levels of ms69 or ms70 as they are most pure and are great long term investments. I will try a few Morgan & Peace dollars for my collection and will entertain levels of ms63+. Might dabble with some half dollars and eventually some gold coins once i save enough cash. Some Canadian coins are nice too.

On eBay, Liberty Coin has some nice commems and eagles. I have purchased both raw and slabbed from them. They are first rate and ship lightning fast. SilverTowne also has a great selection on eBay. The Silver-Eagle-Store is also a strong seller. I've had good luck with all 3.

You can pick up coins like this at APMEX as well. They have a nice selection of ASE's and Canadian Coins as well.They are very reliable, but not necessarily the cheapest.

For Morgan's I use a couple of the auction sites primarily. Heritage and GC.

I've also picked up some nice Morgan's, Peace Dollars and Commems from Northeast Numismatics.

I would also like to suggest you pick up some Whitman books specific to the series you are interested in. They give you a great history of the coins as well as date and mint mark information. These books have helped me learn a great deal about the series I'm interested in. You can buy the books at Amazon, B&N, Wizard Coin Supply.

Just go to the moneymarketplace forum, and post what you are looking for. I am sure members here will have items available to meet your needs.

Here are some general dealers to consider (those highlighted may be more inclined to carry Morgan or Peace Dollars at any given minute):

Legend Numismatics (General, top pop, always with plenty of silver)

Coin Rarities Online

Pinnacle Numismatics (They do have silver dollars at times)

Aspen Park Numismatics (They often have silver dollars and halves, but specialize generally in toned coins)

Northeast Numismatics

David Lawrence Rare Coins

JJ Teaparty

Tom Bush Numismatics (He has a lot of half dollars, and smaller denomination coinage - usually Barbers, Seated, and earlier issues; there is an occasional dollar, usually bust or seated liberty)

Larry Shapiro Rare Coins

Auction Houses:

David Lawrence

Great Collections

Heritage

Stacks-Bowers

Legend-Morphy

Teletrade occassionally has nice coins, but my experience is that it has basically turned into a retail storefront.

Scottsman is also worth a glance.

I'm sure there are other really good dealers, but I'm blanking out at the moment. Unfortunately, you missed out on Mark Feld Rare Coins. :( The owner now works for Heritage.

Also, while I check a handful of dealers' websites regularly, I mostly buy my coins through auction houses or the site below, which allows you to view several dealers' materials all in one convenient place. I actually cannot believe that I forgot to include this one from the very beginning.

http://www.collectorscorner.com/

Most of the dealers here are top notch. If you are ever in doubt, you could always ask the forum about one of them.

"I love the Silver Eagle series that started in 1986. Will probably seek high mint/proof levels of ms69 or ms70 as they are most pure and are great long term investments."

Having trouble with this statement. Whether a coin is MS-69, MS-70 or AU-58, the purity is the same.

If you're looking to collect coins as a hobby, then more power to you. You'll have a great time. If you're buying coins because you want an investment, then I wouldn't recommend that. Since the series started, only one Silver American Eagle demands a premium and is hard to get (1995 W).

If you want to collect silver as an investment, then get silver bars or rounds. They won't cost as much as the ASE.

Good luck.

Probably the word "PURE" was said in haste. Meant that would like coins without flaws or as little as possible. Still learning this hobby and I always believe that buying quality appreciates over time better than average grades.

" Since the series started, only one Silver American Eagle demands a premium and is hard to get (1995 W)."

Only one ASE demands a premium? Have you priced any early MS70s lately? How about a 1999 ms70 going for over 20k, a 2000 going for over 10k, 1991 over 5k. Just to name a few. Not saying there the best investment. I collect them for fun. But you have cant define the whole series with that one coin. I saw a short set of PF 70s sell last week, for like 18 grand on great collections. I bet that guy made a few bucks on his investment.

I saw a short set of PF 70s sell last week, for like 18 grand on great collections. I bet that guy made a few bucks on his investment.

Depends on whether he bought them or made them.