• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UPDATED With Pix: NGC "Appearance Review" for gold coin with PVC(?)

21 posts in this topic

I have an NGC gold coin in a holder from probably over 10 years ago that has a small bright green spot which a fellow forum member firmly believes is PVC. Is this something that I would submit for Appearance Review to NGC and they can take care of that tiny spot and reholder it? How would I submit and/or comment on the submission?

I will try to get pictures to add later.

I think appearance review is only for coins you believe are overgraded. Also, as stated by NGC on their website, their "Coin Grading Guarantee does not apply to coins exhibiting environmental deterioration subsequent to certification. These issues include but are not limited to spotting, hazing, PVC, and corrosion."

My guess is you'll need to submit your coin to NCS in its slab for conservation and reholdering at your expense--not under appearance review, as it isn't covered under the grading guarantee.

You might also consider posing this question on the "Ask NGC" or "Ask NCS" forums.

Good luck with your coin.

I would call NGC Customer Service and ask them directly; however, I can tell you that the NGC Appearance Review service can be used for issues other than the grade notwithstanding the way it is described on the website. I had a copper coin with what I believed was an incorrect color designation. I was told directly by NGC to send that coin under the Appearance Review and to note the color issue in the comment field. I see no reason why it wouldn't apply to your coin, but again, I would call them.

Also, if it has been in the slab for ten years, chances are that it's inactive. If the spot is very small, the coin may not be damaged beyond the point of where it can be repaired. Depending on the value of the coin (and what NGC tells you), you may want to consider cracking the coin out yourself and giving it an acetone bath. That should do the trick.

i hafve used ngc appearance review on a prooflike 1894-s morgan dollar that turned ugly in the holder

i sent it in under appearance review and they dipped it and sent it back beautiful

for coins you feel are overgraded you send under same guarantee

Appearance Review No Charge 12 working days A service for review of an NGC coin you believe is over-graded or unattractively toned in a way that makes it unmarketable.

so you send under appearance review as you feel it is unattractively toned re. PVC SPOT and this makes the coin not so marketable

ngc will remove the pvc reholder the coin at the same grade if no damage was done to the coin after pvc removal and sent back to you

CALL NGC AND ASK THEM TODAY

1 800 NGC COIN

I think you answered my question. Bummer.

My experience has been that they will take care of such coins for you under the Appearance Review service. If the coin has a numerical grade, that grade is negated by the PVC. The limitation is geared toward coins that have been improperly stored by the owner out of negligence, after certification. I think the services also strengthened their disclaimers after the 1963 PF70 Cent fiasco, which cost PCGS about $40,000.

If you run it through NCS the charge will be the 5% plus grading fee if they do the job.

I had a similar situation with a PCGS coin recently and was told it needed to go through restoration with them. That is 4% plus grading fee. Whereas the grading guarantee is less expensive if they agree that the problem falls under that.

With much thanks to Mike for encouraging me to contact NGC to take care of this coin, NGC graciously removed the PVC (there were a few spots, but the eyesore near the date was the worst). The coin largely retained its original skin and didn't come back a sickly yellow. Not only that, but the coin also is now CAC approved!

That is great to hear that NGC took care of that for you. I thought I finally found my perfect Peace dollar in a Heritage auction a while back. But dang it, it has a brown spot next to Liberty's eye. It isn't major, but everytime I look at the coin that spot draws my eye. I was hoping not to have to go the NCS route with it.

Good for you. I did the same for a silver coin with pvc. I showed pics in "ask ngc" and was told they would look at it , go thru ncs and reslab.

No charge but I received the coin back in the same holder and with the same pvc.

Good for you. I did the same for a silver coin with pvc. I showed pics in "ask ngc" and was told they would look at it , go thru ncs and reslab.

No charge but I received the coin back in the same holder and with the same pvc.

Is a little information missing?

Lance.

With much thanks to Mike for encouraging me to contact NGC to take care of this coin, NGC graciously removed the PVC (there were a few spots, but the eyesore near the date was the worst). The coin largely retained its original skin and didn't come back a sickly yellow. Not only that, but the coin also is now CAC approved!

good for you bruce!! minor PVC on a 22K GOLD COIN

PVC now removed with no damage and also with most all of the original surfaces intact and not a sickly canary yellow overdipped coloration

so it just goes to show you that on occasion with the right gold coin and minor PVC it can be; IF properly removed (NGC did an amazing job by the way) and not hurt much of the original skin a coin and can be stablized without hurting the coin or removing most of the original skin yet getting rid of harmful PVC before it could damage the coins surfaces

GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

with convervation of homes, cars, paintings and coins!! some can be helped, unfortunately many cant, some are too far gone and also some are irreversely harmed in the process it is good to hear of success stories

but when there is a minor PVC problem and with an almost 22k gold coin careful conservation can do wonders

just look at joan rivers and CHER...............................................................

I posted in ask ngc and ask ncs forums if my silver coin with pvc on the rev. could be conserved by ncs. I provided close up pics. Max Speigel responded by private message to send it in under appearance review . If it was pvc then ncs would remove it and if reholder it. If the grade dropped I would be compensated.

I received the coin back a few weeks later in the original holder with the pvc unchanged. I cracked it out and after a acetone rinse the pvc was removed by me. Now the coin is raw.

I am only out shipping both ways but I just wish they would have done what they said they would do. I will most likely send it back in for grading but I shouldn't have to.

The advice you got was good.

Did NGC say why the coin was returned without any effort on their part? You should have gotten some explanation. I would have followed up with a phone call. Something went wrong somewhere.

PVC is easily cleaned up, and if it hasn't sat for a long time, in most cases there is no damage to the coin.

You were smart to remove it. But I would have made a fuss with NGC. Not only are you out shipping and insurance both ways but you'll have to pay for S/I again along with re-grading, and no guarantee it will grade as before. But hey, maybe you'll get an upgrade! :D

Lance.

No explanation. At the time I was leaning toward grading it ATS . Not sure if I would have cracked it and submitted it raw or not. Now I decided to go with NGC because it is a world coin so like you said sending it back to them raw and looking nicer it may get a bump in grade. I'm starting to consider coin world holders.

:applause: Very nice.

I have been very careful about inspecting my copper and silver...examining the coins with large images. And I've found more than a few with PVC slime developed over the last 5 years or so, as well as some with new signs of verdigris.

I've had several conserved and have been very happy with the results. Here's a DDO that turned in the holder. I sent it to PCGS for conservation. Before and after.

Lance.

1955DDOPCGS62BNobv_zps59759d5c.jpg1955DDOPCGS62BNrev_zps3440c4ab.jpg

1955DDOPCGS62BNobv_zps4d9e4101.jpg1955DDOPCGS62BNrev_zps12c9fe01.jpg