• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1853 Half Dime

11 posts in this topic

I don't see any major issues with the coin. A couple rim dings and what appears to be normal wear from a circulated coin. I think it has original skin and looks to me like a great VF30 or VF35 example. Nice coin!

I'd say VF.

I'd have to look at a guide to see if it makes 30, but it looks like an attractive, original example.

You should have no problems getting that graded - but since the coin is only worth $30 there is no reason to.

I don't see any major issues with the coin. A couple rim dings and what appears to be normal wear from a circulated coin. I think it has original skin and looks to me like a great VF30 or VF35 example. Nice coin!

Agree VF. No reason to submit for grading.

Carl

VF+ here too. Close to XF but not quite there so I'd guess VF30 with a chance for a 35.

Nice little coin. I like half dimes too!

Lightly cleaned at one time, but it should still get a VF-20. I see no reason to push this higher up in the VF category.

One of the ways to become a better coin grader is to get to know how the coin looked when it was new. That way you have a sense of how much detail has been worn off the piece.

Here is a Mint State 1854 half dime. (Sorry I don't have an 1853, but the method of manufacture and the die contours are the same.) Note how much detail has been worn off the piece at the top of this string. That piece is a basal VF coin. The reverse especially shows a considerable loss of detail.

1854HalfDimeO_zps87c0da5d.jpg1854HalfDimeR_zpsc597f24f.jpg

Thanks everyone, and thanks Bill for the great example.

Question: why do we typically see more wear on the reverse of half dimes? But it's the wear on the obverse which typically determines the grade, right?

Thanks everyone, and thanks Bill for the great example.

Question: why do we typically see more wear on the reverse of half dimes? But it's the wear on the obverse which typically determines the grade, right?

The reverse might be more strike weakness than wear, particularly on the piece in the 1st post.. The obverse does typically receive more "weight" in grading.

The dime you posted would be graded the same as the half dime since the designs are identical. The dime appears to have a touch more wear.