• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Half Dollar Type Set is Half way done

18 posts in this topic

So I’ve been working on an 8 piece “major design” half dollar type set for a couple of years. I’ve been fine tuning it and am now half way through the set. I’m very happy with how it’s turning out.

Coin One: Flowing Hair

I just picked this piece up at the Heritage auction and was actually shocked I got it for such a good price. It’s in a VF25 PCGS holder. It’s totally original with good surfaces. And the dark fields and light devices give it nice eye appeal.

image_zps60ab67d6.jpgimage_zpsb2df8b87.jpg

Coin Two: Draped Bust

No coin yet. I plan on purchasing something to compliment the FH; probably in the XF range.

Coin Three: Capped Bust

No coin yet. Looking for something PL or semi-PL to go with the Seated Lib below; in the AU58-MS62 range.

Coin Four: Seated Liberty

I really like this coin. Fully proof-like on both obverse and reverse. No heavy die polish lines or major distractions sometimes associated with PL coins. When I posted this on the “guess the grade” board most folks guessed 64 or 65. It’s actually PCGS/CAC MS63.

image_zps413c6d21.jpgimage_zps33fd0e3f.jpg

Coin Five: Barber

No coin. Well, actually that’s not true. I have a Barber; but it no longer fits with the set the way I’d like so I’ve “downgraded” it. lol Now I’m looking for a lustrous, white example with nice rim toning in MS63-64.

Coin Six: Walking Liberty

PCGS/CAC MS66+. This coin has great luster and is just a tick away from 67. The toning is a nice match with the Franklin, especially its reverse.

image_zps4701e549.jpgimage_zpsadea22bb.jpg

Coin Seven: Franklin

I snapped this coin up without a second thought even though I was originally looking for an FBL example. The colors are bold and vibrant and it has full cartwheel luster. NGC MS65 STAR.

image_zps3471eb48.jpgimage_zpsef152de7.jpg

Coin Eight: Kennedy

No coin. I was recently the under-bidder in one of Shane’s auctions on a piece that would have fit well with the set. It had purple-blush toning that would have complimented the Frankie nicely. Looking to fill this hole with a 1964-1970 in MS66-67 (preferably non-SMS).

Thanks everyone for reading and looking.

Nice coins! I encourage you to include a Reeded Edge half (1837-1839) as well, if only because I really like them and they have a nice history. The Liberty portrait is also significantly different enough from the Bust half that you won't need to then collect every sub-variety to make the set seem complete. Not only that, but they can be found with nice color, to match the rest of your coins.

Coin Three: Capped Bust

No coin yet. Looking for something PL or semi-PL to go with the Seated Lib below; in the AU58-MS62 range.

Good luck. They are out there, but you have to be patient, vigilant, and ready to pay a strong price for them when they appear. There was an AU-55* PL 1836 CBH in the recent Heritage auction. Normally a $500 - $600 coin, it went for $1645.

The rest of your set looks really nice, especially that Flowing Hair!

Very attractive coins. :applause: Best of luck on finding the other ones you want in the condition you want at a reasonable price.

Thanks for the suggestions and kind words everyone. I may expand the set eventually but want to focus on these 8 coins first. As for the PL Capped Bust, I'm hoping to find one that just misses the designation so I can get it at a more reasonable price ;)

Thanks for the suggestions and kind words everyone. I may expand the set eventually but want to focus on these 8 coins first. As for the PL Capped Bust, I'm hoping to find one that just misses the designation so I can get it at a more reasonable price ;)

If I see one, and I remember, I'll let you know. They are not easy to find.

If I see one, and I remember, I'll let you know. They are not easy to find.

Thanks!!

At VF25 the 1795 FH half doesn't fit the set! ;):insane::devil:

:roflmao: I did recently see an AU58 that would fit in better. If you want to loan me the $50,000 at 0% interest I'd be happy to add it to my set :grin:

:roflmao: I did recently see an AU58 that would fit in better. If you want to loan me the $50,000 at 0% interest I'd be happy to add it to my set :grin:

Here's a more affordable solution...

5khvrs.jpg

Step 1.) Print Pics

Step 2.) Cut Out

Step 3.) Glue On Slab

:headbang:(: