• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FOR REAL? posted by Eagles-R-it

12 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

CHANNEL SURFING.

Last night, nothing on the tube so started flipping channels. WOW, I was shocked!!! A coin show on a shop at home channel. He had Lincoln cents of 2009, and a roll of wheats and a 1909 VDB. He went on and on and said the wheat roll was a $50 value the 1909VDB a $50 value, and the 2009 was I think, $399, down from $499.

WHAT???

I have many 1909VDB cents that are in a whole lot better condition than his, and rolls of wheats I wish I could get $50, And I have Boxes of 2009 cents.

Then to shock me more was the Reverse Proof Silver Eagles, He was pumping up the 2012 PF69 set for $299 but he said if you could find just the 2011 reverse proof at $1,000 to grab it. Wow, I am rich I thought, I have lotsa them too. He also had other stuff, but only listened to him on things I have.

Here's the deal, If anyone buys from the home shopping shows, I think it will bea llllooonnnnggg time to realize a gain.

Oh and here is a pic of my PF70 S San Fran 75th anniv. 2012 he was pitching for $499. Any takers? I would gladly sell mine for that and the lincolns too.

13520.JPG

See more journals by Eagles-R-it

I've seen that guy before. He talks a good game. But that's about it. Any knowledgable collector will know that his story is complete BS. In my opinion, he is just another unscrupulous dealer looking to take advantage of folks who do not know what current market values are. On one of his previous shows, he was trying to sell some common date Morgan dollars in average MS grades. He was going on and on about the rarity of those coins and said that it was a once in a lifetime opportunity to own a special piece of history. I wish they would just remove him from the show. What's most disappointing is that people will spend that kind of money on coins that are pretty common.

I can go to E-Bay and buy "once in a lifetime special pieces of history" anytime I want for a whole lot less than that! I just ignore TV infomercials, but unfortunately a lot of people don't and when the realization sets in it sours would be collectors to the detriment of our hobby.

Gary

So are you trying to tell me I shouldn't have purchased all 5 2000 silver quarters in PF70UC for $595 back in 2001 from that Robert guy on TV? I consider it an expensive lession that research and patience are key to coin collecting.

Good luck to anyone who purchases anything from them without doing research first. :banana:

I love the coin shows. On my DirecTV, I get the Coin Vault, Don something or other and Art & Coin TV. The Don dude always repeats himself. It's hilarious. "This is a must buy", "A must buy!"

IMO, the most informative is Art & Coin. All the offerings are typically way over priced, but Art & Coin gives me some ideas for coins that I wouldn't have thought about. I then look to ebay and the auctions sites to acquire the coins.

I love the coin shows. On my DirecTV, I get the Coin Vault, Don something or other and Art & Coin TV. The Don dude always repeats himself. It's hilarious. "This is a must buy", "A must buy!"

IMO, the most informative is Art & Coin. All the offerings are typically way over priced, but Art & Coin gives me some ideas for coins that I wouldn't have thought about. I then look to ebay and the auctions sites to acquire the coins.

Oh the Coin Vault knuckleheads. Everytime I see that show I see red. They hyperinflate everything that have and then talk about the "Leading Numismatic Catalog"... sure would like to know what catalog has modern coins for moon money. And they love to pitch the balogna about labels... holy moly do they ever.

And for the Art and Coin TV, I will only watch it if Barry is presenting things. Shawn and Rick... naw!!

In 2006 when the 20th Anniversary Sets come out, the one from the Coin Vault kept telling his story about trying for hours to order some sets and they were sold out by 8:00 A.M., I sent him an email telling him to stop with his lies, everyone knows sales didn't start till noon. He never told that story again.Gotta try to keep them honest....MAILMAN

PT Barnum got credit for saying "there's a sucker born every minute", these Coin Show guys sure seem to embrace that philosophy. You gotta do your homework, but I don't like when grandparents and others not familiar with coins getting ripped off by these hucksters.

Yep, an educated consumer is NOT the favorite customer of Darryl and Darryl coin shows. I too, stop on the channels every once in awhile when there is nothing on and I laugh my butt off!

Ever notice Barry Chappell runs shows that are two years old? He even makes the stupid mistake of dating the shows on air so anybody with a half ounce of brains can figure it out.

They also borderline break the law by circle talking "investment potential" which is a big no no if you are not licensed which we already know they are not because of their slick use of cloudy language.

I wonder what percentage of the "brilliant unc" Morgan Dollars Chappell sells would actually grade? I'm betting maybe 10%. Maybe.

What an opportunity to take advantage of an opportunity! :roflmao:

They're all thieves! Sometimes I'll watch 'em for a while, for a laugh. In some cases you can actually pick up an occasional information tip on coin issues, beyond that, they're just "carnival hawkers" selling at a premium Retail price.

Their customers are the newbies, and the up-all-nite shoppers max-ing out their credit cards on coins, cheap jewelry, and Franklin Mint junk, like those shoppers who will only shop at boutique stores paying triple price for the same item they can get on sale at Walmart or Target(pronounced Tar-jay). You know, "schmucks!"

Oh the Coin Vault knuckleheads. Everytime I see that show I see red. They hyperinflate everything that have and then talk about the "Leading Numismatic Catalog"... sure would like to know what catalog has modern coins for moon money. And they love to pitch the balogna about labels... holy moly do they ever.

And for the Art and Coin TV, I will only watch it if Barry is presenting things. Shawn and Rick... naw!!

Shawn also uses the same "leading Numismatic Catalog". Shawn stumbles a lot because his brain is working faster than his mouth. Tomaska has some great information, but he asks roughly double retail for them. Barry is hilarious to watch too. He always shows so much "pain" when he's lowering the price. It cracks me up. I've watched enough of these now that I can tell the reruns. Now that's bad.

In 2006 when the 20th Anniversary Sets come out, the one from the Coin Vault kept telling his story about trying for hours to order some sets and they were sold out by 8:00 A.M., I sent him an email telling him to stop with his lies, everyone knows sales didn't start till noon. He never told that story again.Gotta try to keep them honest....MAILMAN

Love it! Too funny. I don't know how these guys can even look straight into the camera when they're telling their lies.