• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1920 large cent trial pieces for Canada?

4 posts in this topic

Does anyone here know if Canada experimented with different metal compositions before the full transition to the small cent? More specifically is there “white” metal or that of a lead color? And if so is there an accurate listing of these trial pieces and where can I access it? Any and all help would be great, thanks in advance!

Don.

Well, it’s been awhile and no responses this leads me to two possible conclusions.

1. The world coin section in the discussion forum is even more of a ghost town than I had anticipated.

2. Those who did read the question and tried to find info found the exact amount of information that I did; nothing.

The other possible explanation which is more likely combines these possible theoretical conclusions, regardless thank you for reading!

What does it weigh? It may just be plated. For some reason I have seen an unusual amount of plated copper. I believe the size is about right for someone to have tried to pass it off as a 25 cent piece.

The coin weighs 5.2g or 5.4g if my memory serves me correctly, I removed this coin from its holder to place it in new one and I forgot to transfer that information. I’m leaning more toward the 5.2 side. The coin has very odd “vertical line” almost like die polish marks on both sides, the surfaces are not shinny and are in fact very dual. I will try to get somewhere this weekend with an accurate scale. I had initially thought the same about maybe another plated coin but this coin doesn’t seem to be plated. Thanks in advance for any information conder101!

Don.