• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old coin - cannot identify

5 posts in this topic

I have a jelly jar of about 50 coins given to me by my Grandfather, and decided to take a peek at them today (have not done so in many years). Does the coin in the pictures look familiar to anyone? Most of the others I can read (an 1888 Pfennig and early 1900 Pfennigs, 1800's Centavos, Ptas, Francs, a Grover Cleveland Commemorative Coin from late 1800's I believe). ALSO ... I have a small coin that looks like it has the letters QUATTRINO dated 1827. Can someone suggest a good and safe way to get these coins looked at to determine value, and if I should insure them as well as any cleaning that can be done to them?

Sorry, for some reason cannot upload the picture ... I think I can make out the letters .... GEORGIU---- REX (???) ..... on the coin. It looks fairly dirty, so hard to make out anything more than that.

Do not clean the coins, doing this simply devalues them. You need to use a website like photobucket to host your pictures and then add the link to the post. By the way the coin you are describing is a british coin.

From Wikipedia: "The quattrino is an ancient Italian currency denomination largely used in Central Italy, especially in Tuscany. Its name derives from the latin quater denari, because its value was equal to four denari. Consequently, its value was one third of a soldo. It disappeared after the unification of Italy in 1861, when the Italian lira was introduced as an equivalent of the french franc."

If the coin indeed states that it is a quattrino then perhaps the GEORGIU---- REX you see may indeed be in error. I would check out the appropriated aged Papal State coins under Pope Gregory XVI who lived between 1765-1846. As you haven't posted a picture this is the best I can do to help.