• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Morgan Purchase...

8 posts in this topic

And it will anchor my 19th Century Type Set

Just added this NGC MS66 Star 1884CC Silver Dollar to anchor my 19th Century Type Set . I could not resist the obverse crescent blue rainbow toning this coin exhibits as it suits my eye and fits well with many of the toned 19th century pieces in my sets. In contrast to the obverse, the reverse of this coin is blast white. I assume with toned CC pieces that there is a slightly higher premium for nice "obverse only" toning compared to "reverse only" toning but do not have any facts to support this assumption. Possibly someone more knowledgeable in this series can comment. As this is the only Morgan presently residing in my collection, I specifically targeted a CC mintage for the type set to add "a little extra spice". Strongly considered were a couple of nice rainbow toned MS64 and MS65 1883/1884 GSA CC's but they could not match this piece for overall look, quality and value. There is a very high probability that this piece was part of the GSA hoard but was at some point cracked out of its original holder. In researching, 962,000 1884CC's were discovered with the GSA hoard, an amazing 85% of the date's 1,136,000 mintage. This date has the highest Hoard % of mintage and as a "common" date CC is perfect for my type set. Long term I am intrigued with the CC GSA's, much of which is due to the articles posted on this board, but for now will table any thoughts of a new start-up as there is enough ground to cover with my existing sets.

Thanks for reading, and happy collecting !!! RichH

13510.jpg

See more journals by RichH

Sweet coin Rich! I think you are spot on with regard to the coin probably being a part of the hoard. Even though the 84 is not scarce with nearly the entire run being kept out of circulation, really nice ones like yours are getting harder to find. It was a very good score!

Happy Collecting!

Bo

Well Done. I really like the crescent toning. You can imagine the coin sitting on top of that one shielding the rest of the coin from the bag.

Great addition.

Thanks everyone for the tremendous comments ! Mike, this coin was worth 885 points, you can always find this info by hitting the user name link and going to full profile. I didnt move up in the registry 19th Century ranking with this coin, but solidified my current #16 rank for the set. I have a long term Top 10 set goal, and that will take some work. What is also somewhat unique about the set is that I have my own "one coin one set" rule , so the coins in the set stand on their own, as I don't 1- duplicate coins already in other sets or 2-chose an available higher grade from another of my sets. Cheers !! Rich

that's a nice one. the CC MSDs are some sweet coinage. got a couple in for grading now myself. good luck on those sets you got going.