• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why are Lincoln Shield Cents being slabbed face down?

8 posts in this topic

I've asked this question on the "Ask NGC" forum, but it never gets posted or answered. So, I'll ask here.

Lincoln "Wheat" cents are slabbed by NGC face up.

Lincoln "Memorial" cents are slabbed by NGC face up.

Lincoln "Commemorative" cents are slabbed by NGC face down to show the commemorative reverses.

Lincoln "Shield" cents are regular issue just like the Wheat reverse, or the Memorial reverse cents. These shield cents will be issued every year, indefiniately (or until the mint decides they need a change). So why are they being slabbed face down?

I understand, what's done is done and there's no practical way of fixing this error. But I would like to see NGC make a policy change and start slabbing these regular issue coins the same as all of the other regular issue coins - FACE UP!

I would like to send in the three that I already own to be re-holdered face up, and I think NGC should lower the fee for this service. Does anybody know what the minimum number of re-holder coins can be submitted on one order?

I just thought of another question:

The three Lincoln Shield cents I currently have, are all slabbed NGC PF70UC. I thought I heard that NGC wouldn't re-holder 70's because of the risk of damage. Maybe that applied to cross-over submissions.........I don't know.

I could see them doing this for the 2010 shield cents because they were new and they were used to slabbing face down after 2009... but it's wrong to continue slabbing these coins face down year after year.

Call customer service and say they were holdered incorrectly, then note their explanation. They still slab these the wrong way ATS, too. There's also no reason to put "Shield" on the label, either, since it's not needed to disambiguate the type. Maybe there's money to be made by leveraging eBay's Rule of the Greater insufficiently_thoughtful_person. Spend $10 a piece to reholder the coins, then sell them for Obscene Profit™ as rare obverse-up slabs. Eventually, people will catch on and the supply of correctly holdered Shield Zincolns will go up, depressing the price and allowing you to buy the coins back at a discount.