• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1880/79 S Hot 50 VAM 11 Med S

7 posts in this topic

I just received this coin and noticed on the reverse an unusual "mark". Under a 10x loupe I couldn't tell if it was debris on the coin or extra silver caused by some die error. The coin is a VAM, but not for this mark. I took a shot of it with my Dino Lite. Hope the pictures are good enough for someone to explain to me what this might be.

This extra material shows up from the right leg of the eagle to the olive branch it's holding in it's talons. I searched the VAM site and did not find this error for the 1880 S.

80ov79dieerror_zps22db6b5c.jpg

There's a scratch in the slab right on top of the material. I hope someone can tell me what this might be.

Thanks,

Joe

EDIT: this coin is labeled 1880/9 S Hot 50 VAM-11 Medium S

It's possible that it could be a strikethrough. Does the debris extend into the area of the leg feathers? If it is a strikethrough, it isn't likely that it would be mentioned in any VAM description.

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for your help.

Yes, the debris extends onto the right leg feathers. That is one of the reasons I originally thought it might just be debris on the coin. After looking under the stereo microscope, it's definitely silver.

It's also in a new NGC slab. So I thought how could this coin be put in a holder without checking out the substance on the back. That's why I took a careful look and started this thread.

1880_9SMS66Vam11_zps48b607e3.jpg

What is a strikethrough? I'm still very new to all the terminology.

Thanks,

Joe

Chris,

Looked up strikethroughs on the web and found the answer. Thanks again for your help.

Joe

A strikethrough can be caused by almost anything......a piece of wire, thread, fabric, sliver of wood or even debris that becomes compacted in the recesses of a die and falls out. It is almost always a one-time event, and that is why you will rarely see them mentioned in a VAM listing.

Here is one on an 1889. It begins near the "In" of IGWT, crosses the eagle's right wing and body, then crosses the arrows and splits in different directions across "DOLLAR". It was probably a piece of (insulating?) fabric, but it reminds me of a snake that has shed its skin.

Chris

137350.jpg.d0343e3fd5bce52d43a3ede6e7cccf94.jpg

137351.jpg.5b8b61e55ce6d57e04b379d18cfb4019.jpg

137352.jpg.57bd2af029f6498b2237d451997a6368.jpg

137353.jpg.c20fa73b2153639edc2ffbb8094e11ed.jpg