• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC 314XXXXX LEATHER POUCH HOARD????

14 posts in this topic

Yesterday I purchased a peace dollar in an older holder. I only bought this coin because it had some nice eye appeal.

In another thread there was some discussion that the 314 series sells for a premium and that some consider them all AT. I thought the question was about the fatty holder and toned peace $ in general.

I came across a listing on ebay that said these 314xxxx holdered coins are all 1924 and all toned. It also made reference to the leather pouch hoard.

I am just wanting to learn about this. Myth, legend, truth? How many are there? Does anyone else own one? Just anything in general.

I have reposted the pics to this thread. The pics are not so good but it is the best I can do. There is some light blues inside the golden rim toning which I really could not capture. I do not think it is relevant but I believe the toning to be NT and MA at worst. For a $100 I am very happy regardless.

Jim

1923-S1MS64_zpse143eea9.jpg

As I stated in the other thread, I have never heard of anyone thinking they are worth a premium (other than the lone post from Zack there and incidentally in the description of a coin he has on ebay) because of the serial number alone. I have, however, seen a large number of darkly toned Peace Dollars with similar colors that have the 314xxx-xxx serial number, and many have speculated that they are all AT. I do not agree with either of these conclusions. I have seen some 314 Peace Dollars that look questionable or AT to me, and some that look quite natural. I think the whole thing is more or less coincidental and they should be evaluated like any other coin: every piece must be evaluated on its own merits. Your coin is undoubtedly original/100% NT and has great eye appeal. I think you paid a fair price as well. It is certainly better than the run of the mill blast white Peace Dollar.

People will say or do just about anything if they think it will increase what they can sell something for. The person who wrote that in your other post, and the person selling the coin where you read about this hoard on eBay (presumably) is one and the same person. Take the comments with a grain of salt.

Now, regarding your coin, I would pay $100 all day long for a coin that attractive. But, I wouldn't pay anywhere close to the $999 that the one on eBay is posted for. Actually, I think that price is laughable. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for some clarification coinman. There are lots of known hoards I did not know if this was something worth knowing about. I am glad you responded to the thread. I tried to PM you about the subject but was not allowed?????

People will say or do just about anything if they think it will increase what they can sell something for. The person who wrote that in your other post, and the person selling the coin where you read about this hoard on eBay (presumably) is one and the same person. Take the comments with a grain of salt.

Now, regarding your coin, I would pay $100 all day long for a coin that attractive. But, I wouldn't pay anywhere close to the $999 that the one on eBay is posted for. Actually, I think that price is laughable. Just my 2 cents.

I think the price is laughable too. I just thought maybe there was some truth to the story.

Thanks for some clarification. There are lots of known hoards I did not know if this was something worth knowing about. I am glad you responded to the thread. I tried to PM you about the subject but was not allowed?????

That's strange. Could you try PMing me again?

there are other ones on ebay, your post reminded me about it and then i listed mine. mine is listed at 999. most of them do not look like yours, most look like mine and are darker purple blue black green toning. just search for "ngc 1924-p peace dollar" there are usually a couple on ebay at all times. the cert number will begin with 314xxx-xxx. the mention of the "leather pouch hoard" i heard from another member on here awhile ago, he either linked to another website or directly posted the info on here. I did not propagate this or make this up, it is what i heard from others.

Just to be certain, is this the only place that you have come across this information? It strikes me as hearsay. I was hoping that someone would have some concrete evidence of this so called hoard. To summarize the other thread, the basis for these theories is (1) a lot of these coins appear similar in color and (2) some hearsay from an old time dealer.

the mention of the "leather pouch hoard" i heard from another member on here awhile ago, he either linked to another website or directly posted the info on here. I did not propagate this or make this up, it is what i heard from others.

That's not necessarily the implication; however, it is important to determine whether the theories that have come to light have a basis other than speculation or hearsay. Is anyone aware of any concrete evidence of the existence of the hypothesized hoard? That's the reason that I have maintained the position that I have, urging that each piece (not pun intended) be evaluated on the merits of the coin in hand.

As I stated in the other thread, I have never heard of anyone thinking they are worth a premium (other than the lone post from Zack there and incidentally in the description of a coin he has on ebay) because of the serial number alone. I have, however, seen a large number of darkly toned Peace Dollars with similar colors that have the 314xxx-xxx serial number, and many have speculated that they are all AT. I do not agree with either of these conclusions. I have seen some 314 Peace Dollars that look questionable or AT to me, and some that look quite natural. I think the whole thing is more or less coincidental and they should be evaluated like any other coin: every piece must be evaluated on its own merits. Your coin is undoubtedly original/100% NT and has great eye appeal. I think you paid a fair price as well. It is certainly better than the run of the mill blast white Peace Dollar.

This just about sums it up for me. Nice-looking Peace, good purchase :cool: