• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

World coin PCGS population question.

5 posts in this topic

I looked at a NGC certified 1837 Bavarian Gulden graded PF-63 the NGC census say it’s the only one graded and I’m just wondering if there are any at PCGS. The NGC certification number is 1912200-001 if this helps, this way you can see the exact description that NGC gave it which may prove helpful when attempting to look it up at PCGS. Thanks in advance, I don’t have access to PCGS population reports so any info would be great!

Don.

PCGS world coins populations are free access. Only the US coin populations require a membership.

That being said, PCGS has not graded any examples of the coin you posted: See link here

Interestingly, Krause doesn't list a proof version of the 1837 Bavarian Gulden. hm

Any chance you could post some pics of the coin?

Well I didn’t know that the PCGS population for world coins was free access, thanks for the info! :blush:I can’t post any pictures of the coin because I do not have it with me; I left it with the seller. He quoted me a price on the coin that I believed to be way too low, and I told him to hang on to it until next weekend so I can do a little more research and figure out the real value. Well, I just started today and since there is only one of them it’s going to be very hard to establish a good value. I know that you collect world coins; do you have any suggestions as to what a fair market price would be for the coin? The coin in hand has a cameo but it is not designated as such on the holder, the surfaces are very clean and to be honest I’m not really sure why it only got a 63. Any information would be very helpful, I want to make a fair offer for the coin but I also do not want to over pay as well. Its good to know that this coin is rare, and I cant wait to add it to my collection now! :banana:

Don.

I'm unfortunately not familiar with the series or how rare proof examples may be. Wish I could help more.

Best of luck,

-Brandon

Well I didn’t know that the PCGS population for world coins was free access, thanks for the info! :blush:I can’t post any pictures of the coin because I do not have it with me; I left it with the seller. He quoted me a price on the coin that I believed to be way too low, and I told him to hang on to it until next weekend so I can do a little more research and figure out the real value. Well, I just started today and since there is only one of them it’s going to be very hard to establish a good value. I know that you collect world coins; do you have any suggestions as to what a fair market price would be for the coin? The coin in hand has a cameo but it is not designated as such on the holder, the surfaces are very clean and to be honest I’m not really sure why it only got a 63. Any information would be very helpful, I want to make a fair offer for the coin but I also do not want to over pay as well. Its good to know that this coin is rare, and I cant wait to add it to my collection now! :banana:

Don.

Low pop for world coins does not mean a thing most of the time. In this instance, I expect that yes, the coin is scarce or somewhat scarce if it is unlisted. But most of the time, the census pops for world coins are low because most foreign collectors do not like their coins in plastic. The only widespread exceptions that I am aware of are for South Africa and Canada though for the latter, I suspect that much of the demand comes from US collectors anyway.

If there are no sales records for this coin or there is no one who collects German proofs to give you an estimate, I would attempt to find other proofs that are as close as you can find. I would start with Heritage.

Unless this coin is actually really rare or is a larger one (half-crown or crown sized), I doubt it is really worth that much.